Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayMP

Re: How to fix Roku zoomed in and cutting screen off?

Jump to solution

Using a different hdmi port worked👍

0 Kudos
nh_handyman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here is when this happens to me:

- watch a streaming service (Amazon prime for example) 

- pause the show (and go do something)

- come back - the ROKU Ultra has turned  the TV off

- Turn TV on

- Pick any streaming service

- menus etc are all perfect 

- streaming content is zoomed in 

- I have to reboot the Ultra to get it to stop.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
nh_handyman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

this is NOT SOLVED

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@nh_handyman, try disabling "power saving" under Settings->System->Power.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
skyraider

Jump to solution

The night before last my ROKU Express 4K+ did the same.  I tried a procedure that different device said to use in a similar situation.  I removed the batteries (both showed over 1.4V) and waited about 10 minutes.  I then pressed the power button numerous times.  I assume that this was to bleed down any residual voltage.  After replacing the batteries normal service was resumed.  

What I did may have had no influence on solving the problem.  No way to know with just a single event.  At last it was cheap to try.  

0 Kudos
laurbrown

Jump to solution

The "solution" listed here is not a solution. We shouldn't have to reboot and/or switch the display settings every time we move from one app to another.

I am having the same problem. HBO+, Disney+ will always be zoomed in to the upper quadrant. Then I go to display settings, manually change from 720p to 4K and it's fixed. Then if I switch to Netflix, it will be zoomed out, with the shrunken picture filling 1/4 of the screen. Go back to display settings and its back on 720p again, even though I don't have auto-detect selected. So I force to 4K again and it's back to normal. This happens every day, every time I open these three apps.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@laurbrown, has it always behaved that way or is it a new development?  It sounds like some kind of HDMI handshaking issue.  If you haven't already, try disabling "power saving" under Settings->System->Power.  You don't give the model number of your Roku device, but if it's one that uses a USB power adapter make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port.

Trying a different HDMI cable (assuming it's not a stick) and/or input on your TV wouldn't hurt either.

0 Kudos
nh_handyman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

For me - this is new after the introduced the power-saving upgrade to the Ultra.

Also - if it was an HDMI issue wouldn't it be happening for the menu items and main stream not just the streaming of the content?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@nh_handyman wrote:

Also - if it was an HDMI issue wouldn't it be happening for the menu items and main stream not just the streaming of the content?

Not necessarily.  The menus/GUI is displayed in one resolution while the videos can be displayed in different resolutions (4k menus don't exist).  There's also copy protection issues that don't apply to menus.

0 Kudos
nh_handyman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

@nh_handyman wrote:

Not necessarily.  The menus/GUI is displayed in one resolution while the videos can be displayed in different resolutions (4k menus don't exist).  There's also copy protection issues that don't apply to menus.

But as an end-user I have a single 'zoom control' 
the roku controls everything.....

Where are the 'debug logs' on these units?  Can I go to some hidden menu somewhere to enable a bunch of debugging information so I can help the developers track this down.

As a career-long software engineer it sounds like the 'zoom factor' setting is either using an un-initialized value or its being fed a value out of an expected range when the unit comes back on.

0 Kudos