Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShaunIOW
Level 7

How do I view movies on a NAS drive?

I've just set up a new Roku Streaming Stick+ 4k HDR Media Player, but I can't find a way to stream from my NAS drive (Buffalo Linkstation NAS) which was the main reason for getting the Roku. 

I normally stream using Plex on a HP Microserver to my TV, but the server isn't up to 4k video, so I want to stream direct from the NAS drive, but every app (the only app I didn't try was one to pay for as I didn't want to risk it if it didn't work) I've tried on the Roku only sees a hard drive connected to the router via USB and an SD Card in an Android box, but not the NAS drive.

Everything is on the same network with the Roku connected via wireless and everything else via cable.

Cheers

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I view movies on a NAS drive?

You need to add a DLNA server (like minidlna or serviio) to your NAS, if possible.  Then you can use the Roku Media Player (RMP) or other channels.  I don't know if either of those servers would be any better than Plex.  Keep in mind that Roku only supports certain codecs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ShaunIOW
Level 7

Cheers for the reply.

My NAS has a DLNA media server, I've turned it on and the ROKU can see the NAS but is says it can't find any compatible files to play which is strange as it played identical files off my back-up HD plugged into the router via USB - the files being MKV, MP3 and JPG.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If you just turned on the DLNA server it may take it a while to build its database.  If you can figure out what DLNA server the NAS is using you should be able to do a little research on where and how it creates its database.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ShaunIOW
Level 7

The DLNA Server is a Linkstation Media Server (NAS is Buffalo LS520D194 Linkstation 6Tb NAS connected to the router via a cat6e cable), I refreshed the database, but it made no difference, the ROKU still says there are no compatible files on there, and the Chaneru Media Player, just says the folders are empty even though there are over 4Tb of files on there including MKV's, MP4's, WMV, JPG's and MP3's and both media players do detect the files and play them from a 1.5Tb portable USB backup drive connected to the router (ASUS RT-AC3200), so I'm at a loss as to why it'll play an MKV from the USB drive but doesn't even see the exact same MKV on the NAS drive.

The NAS can be seen, accessed and have the files played from it on my other TV direct (Hisense), DVD player, Amazon Fire TV box (using Kodi), Android and Ipad tablets no problem, it's only the ROKU thats giving me issues and annoyingly the main reason I bought it as My 2015 LG TV in the bedroom doesn't have a media player for the NAS. 

0 Kudos
linkster
Level 7

i have the exact same problem, the files actually showed up the first time I tried it but actually stopped showing up after a router reboot. I am also using a buffalo linkstation drive, amazon firestick picks up all files, not sure what's going on with Roku.

0 Kudos
jeffstunes
Level 7

Not sure if you've already done this but on my Buffalo you have to share folders to DLNA for it to find anything.

If you haven't then go to the settings and  "File Sharing" and click to the right of "Folder Setup."

Click on the folder you wish to share. A box should pop up. Select the "Advanced Settings" tab.

Tick DLNA to share that folder with DLNA.

0 Kudos
huzefa_mehta
Level 7

Roku Ultra 2020 Media Player not working

I bought a Roku Ultra 2020 (4800 series). I have a NAS and my previous devices Roku 3 - connected and played the videos. With the new Roku Ultra 2020, I cannot play videos that are about 1.4G (however this can be played with old Roku 3). It crashes after "Retrieving" message. However other videos can be played on Roku Ultra

I don't want to return my Roku Ultra 2020 if this can be solved.

0 Kudos
Mychance
Level 7

SOLVED - I have been looking for an easy solution to have my roku TV to read my NAS drive content.  DLNA streaming was sluggish and slowed my router by a lot.  Finally, I have installed an Amazon Fire Stick in one of the HDMI ports, installed VLC and now I can watch EVERYTHING on the NAS drive.

0 Kudos