Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amdfanto
Channel Surfer

How can we disable edge enhancement and noise reduction?

I have the roku ultra 4800 and the picture quality is heavily processed at all times. There is permanent edge enhancement (with ringing artefacts) and noise reduction. This leads to an overlay sharp image with very poor fine detail. Will roku let us disable this processing? Everything looks harsh on my lg oled - which has been calibrated. The tv internal apps have much better image quality, but I need the roku app support. Please engineers look into adding this. 

11 REPLIES 11
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How can we disable edge enhancement and noise reduction?

I don't have an Ultra installed, but I'm unaware of any such settings on the Rokus I do have.  Each streamed channel has its own degree of compression with its own compression artifacts, prior to being sent to the Roku.

Are you sure this is not being done by your TV?  It's possible each of your set's inputs has its own configuration settings.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Amdfanto
Channel Surfer

It’s not my display. It’s apparent right from the roku home screen that artificial edge enhancement is being applied at all times. There are subtle ringing artefacts through text or high contrast edges. I purchased the roku ultra expecting a reference grade output. But it’s not the case at all. My internal apps and my laptop produce far better image quality when connected to the same display. I’m dumbfounded that these filters would be applied so judiciously without an option to be disabled or heavily reduced. The sharpening artefacts are comparable to a cheap off brand Chinese device, not a premium device. Even my old first and 2nd gen chromecast produce a cleaner output. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Amdfanto wrote:

It’s not my display. It’s apparent right from the roku home screen that artificial edge enhancement is being applied at all times. There are subtle ringing artefacts through text or high contrast edges. I purchased the roku ultra expecting a reference grade output. But it’s not the case at all. My internal apps and my laptop produce far better image quality when connected to the same display. I’m dumbfounded that these filters would be applied so judiciously without an option to be disabled or heavily reduced. The sharpening artefacts are comparable to a cheap off brand Chinese device, not a premium device. Even my old first and 2nd gen chromecast produce a cleaner output. 

Not sure what "reference grade output" you were expecting, considering Roku certainly doesnt market/price any of its products that way, and that certainly isnt a reputation of theirs.

FYI, Roku (and virtually every other streamer) devices upscale all output to the max supported/configured display resolution.

Also, the Roku UI (e.g. "right from the Home screen") is 1080p, so it'll be upscaled to 2160p if connected to a 4K display.

As @makaiguy  alluded to, LG TV's have per-input (internal apps are an input BTW) and per dynamic range (SDR/HDR/DV) settings (so thats up around 20-30 different picture mode settings to configure depending on model/year), including settings - that if enabled - would cause everything you described, located in Settings/Picture/Picture Mode/Advanced Controls and Picture Options.

Also FYI, "Calibration" doesnt necessarily specifically address those settings, so you might want to verify them for the  4800's HDMI input and those 3 modes (SDR/HDR/DV).

If after verifying those settings (or not) you decide a 4800 isnt for you, there are many other devices out there (you may already have one: a GCCWGTV) to select from.

Amdfanto
Channel Surfer

My display has no additional processing enabled and sharpness 0. All inputs calibrated w isf2. Having an expectation for a neutral/reference output should be a given since the hardware is fully capable of it. If the option was opened to the user that would be ideal. Being able to remove these filters is trivial with today’s tech. this isn’t a big ask to have adjustments 

0 Kudos
mattyhoops
Reel Rookie

Amdfanto, you are not alone! I have a 4800R Roku Ultra and have noticed what appears to be edge enhancement and some artifacts. I have tried multiple HDMI cables thinking it was something wrong with the cable. I don't see it on the internal apps on my TV or my 4k Firestick. I have a 75" Sony X900F. And I have no special picture enhancements on my TV turned on. I calibrated the TV using settings suggested by CNET and Rtings. 

I see it every time I use the Roku, but it is subtle. Most users/viewers would not notice it for a few possible reasons:

- if they have a smaller TV (say 55" or less)
- if they have a lower quality TV,
- if they already have various picture enhancements engaged (such as edge enhancement, contrast enhancer, motion flows, etc)
- I'm an AV nerd. I read articles and watch reviews on AV gear. I spend time experimenting with picture and sound settings to see and hear the differences. The vast majority of people don't do that. If they have a decent picture and sound they're happy and don't look for imperfections. 

People will likely respond saying it must be my TV or that I'm mistaken, but I know it's not my TV settings and I don't see it with other sources or devices. If ( and I'm only saying if here) Roku did 'enhance' the output of the 4800R it was probably to catch the eye of the average viewer. If the image looks sharper on a Roku over their competitors people will gravitate toward the sharper image, even if it's not accurate. It's like display TVs in a store having brightness maxed out. The brighter image draws your attention, but is an inaccurate reproduction of the image.

This being said, I am just using my 4k Firestick for now. It's slower and the interface stinks, but I'll go with the device that produces the more accurate image.

Amdfanto
Channel Surfer

Ya I don’t use the roku ultra any more. I have it on a guest room I barely use. Such a disappoint and waste of money. I’m beyond the return policy of the store I purchased from. The Roku Ultra has harsh image processing, poor frame pacing using Netflix and inconsistent frame rate matching that does not work with Netflix or apple+.

My LG oled b7 just got an update that now supports apple+ Which was my only use case for the roku. The roku ultra is totally worthless in its current state for any enthusiast or customer looking for a high quality picture. 

0 Kudos
jamonbread
Reel Rookie

I recently purchased the express 4k, when watching SD content on any streaming app, faces of actors have a very plastic look and background faces look like smudges.

I was watching Star Trek DS9 on Netflix when I immediately noticed this DNR look to faces, I then tested other SD content on other apps like prime with the same effect. 

I've now gone back to my older Roku premiere 4k box which doesn't have this issue at all.

While it's not so noticeable on full HD content in motion, when you pause the video and look at the image, you can see how the image has smoothed patches like a smudge water colour effect. The effect does reduce visable blocking artifacts especially on SD video, but at what costs to image quality. 4k video is fine all round. 

SusanR
Channel Surfer

I am getting the same smudgy look on faces with my brand new Roku Express 4K on my brand new Sony X90J 50" Smart TV. This problem is only on the Roku, and not on the native TV apps through Google TV, which look great.

I was watching a show where there was a building in the background with a privacy fence made of vertical parallel metal posts. When the camera panned around the scene, the fence actually flashed!

Reading your post I think it must be the Express device but I'm wondering what player I could use instead? Any ideas?

0 Kudos
jamonbread
Reel Rookie

I went back to my older Roku prem for awhile, but as it was slow I ended up getting a firestick 4k max for my bedroom, and I friend gave me an Apple TV box which I'm using in the living room.