Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dafedexguy
Reel Rookie

Home Theater not playing Center Channel with Roku... All other inputs do

All other inputs play Center channel...xbax, bluray, cable box...but when streaming through Roku, Center Channel is dead.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
arf1410
Reel Rookie

Re: Home Theater not playing Center Channel with Roku... All other inputs do

Same problem here... Roku Premiere .. HDMI to my TV - the audio optical TV to Audio receiver

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@arf1410 wrote:

Same problem here... Roku Premiere .. HDMI to my TV - the audio optical TV to Audio receiver

In your case, your TV might not be sending 5.1 audio via the optical out for external devices. Some TVs have that limitation.

But you also need to ensure that what you're watching actually has 5.1 audio, and it is the selected audio track. For example, CBS All Access offers 5.1 audio, but by default the stereo track is selected. The user has to select 5.1 manually.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
arf1410
Reel Rookie

Nope... the TV's built in Amazon Video and Netflix APP send all channels to 5.1 receiver just fine... And it actually appears I did get center channel sound watching something on the "Roku Channel"

How does one manually select a audio channel for a specific Roku channel?  I see how to do it in the main Roku settings...

Maybe the default on Xfinity Stream is 2 channel stereo?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@arf1410 wrote:

Nope... the TV's built in Amazon Video and Netflix APP send all channels to 5.1 receiver just fine... And it actually appears I did get center channel sound watching something on the "Roku Channel"

How does one manually select a audio channel for a specific Roku channel?  I see how to do it in the main Roku settings...

Maybe the default on Xfinity Stream is 2 channel stereo?

I said external devices, so the built in apps are irrelevant. Where you select the audio channel varies within each channel, and virtually all of them can only be adjusted after playback begins. CBS All Access uses the * button to open the options menu. Prime Video is an icon that you have to move to. I believe Vudu is the same. YouTube has almost no 5.1 content, so don't expect any center channel there. Netflix I also believe is an icon you move to. So far I haven't found any track selection on HBO Max.

I don't have any cable service, so can't speak to the Xfinity offerings. But them being stereo is certainly possible. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
arf1410
Reel Rookie

It appears the likely problem is Xfinity Stream, and maybe 1/2 the other apps, provide a 2 channel stereo only.  The channels that really do provide 5.1, the center channel works fine.

0 Kudos
Lowell_Mac
Reel Rookie

I believe I've found a fix to this problem.  At least I've fixed it thru my Roku Wireless 5-speaker system playing DVDs and Blu Rays thru my PS3. Your individual blu ray device should have it's own In-Movie Pop-Up Menus..

TCL/Roku TV

4 Roku Side-speakers 

Roku Streambar Pro

Roku Wireless Subwoofer

PS3

(While in movie)

Triangle>AV Settings>Audio Output Format>change to "Bitstream"

Just figure out a way to change your play device to Bitstream.

Start with that.

0 Kudos