Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wpbear
Level 7

Hisense Roku TV low volume after 8.1 update

Audio volume extremely low on all channels/apps since my Roku TV updated today to 8.1. I have to turn the volume up to 90 just to hear normally. Used to be about 25.
0 Kudos
25 Replies
beq
Level 8

Re: Hisense Roku TV low volume after 8.1 update

I think I read others with different Roku TV brands also noticing lower volume -- I think the Sharp brand has some kind of "TruVolume" setting that was turned off after the update, and turning it back on did the trick?

I myself had a TV speaker issue with a TCL Roku TV -- the left speaker array module had practically no tweeter output, and the overall perceived volume (especially for speech) was halved.  Previous listening volume of 20-25 had to keep raising to 40.  But this was a longstanding problem outside of any Roku OS update (and this particular defective set had other problems where I had to replace the mainboard and Wi-Fi module as well).
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

FYI I did see yours and others' reports the last few days, of Roku TV having lower volume after 8.1 update.

Sharp:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... _very_low/

Sharp, Hisense, etc:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... re_update/

Insignia:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... since_the/

TCL:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... ow_volume/

Anyone else noticing volume changes?  I haven't had a chance to check with my family...
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Those of you having this issue, please report the following information so we can investigate:

1. RokuTV Brand Name;

2. Device ID;

3. Your Roku Account information (not your forum account, but your www.roku.com account info);

4. Model Number;

Most of this information, if not all, can be found in Settings > System > About.

Thanks!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
creeve4
Level 7

@RokuShawnS
I am experiencing low volume since receiving the 8.1.2 update.

• RokuTV Brand Name: TCL

• Model: 55R617

• Device ID: FV283E324216

• Your Roku Account: [personal information removed]
0 Kudos
Bill_Blue
Level 7

Good afternoon.  Last night, I noticed low voice audio and louder background/sound effects on my new Hisense 4K 43" Model 43R7 when watching a movie through my Plex server.  I don't know if that is tied into the problem being discussed here, but I thought I would put in my two cents worth.

Shawn, you asked for this information:

1.  Roku Brand Name:  Hisense
2.  Model:  43R7
3.  Device ID:  9K483L829829
4.  My Roku Account Information:  [personal information removed]

I hope this information helps you in resolving this issue.
PC user since 1981 & Roku for 10 years.
65" Samsung UN65JS9000 w/Vizio soundbar & Roku Ultra
Hisense (Roku) 43R7E 4K HDR & Vizio soundbar.
Roku Stick in guest room; In master bedroom: Vizio 32" TV w/Stick+ & ZVOX V420 Soundbar
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Thanks, guys. I'll forward this information over to the engineers.

In addition, the next time you observe that behavior, please note the following:

What channel was it, or was it OTA or an HDMI input device;
What settings do you have selected in Settings > Audio
What was your typical volume level before the update, and what are you using now?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
creeve4
Level 7

Shawn, I experience lower volume levels on all sources (Antenna TV, HDMI, and streaming) and all channels.

Audio Settings:
TV Speakers = Disabled
Menu Volume = Off
S/PDIF and ARC = Auto Detect

I have a sound bar connected via the HDMI ARC port.

Before:
Antenna TV = 8-10
All other = 15-20

Now:
Antenna TV = 12-18
All other = 26-40
0 Kudos
mkurler89
Level 7

@RokuShawnS
I am experiencing low volume since receiving the 8.1.2 update.
• RokuTV Brand Name: HiSense
• Model: 32H4C+
• Device ID: 6TL6CG427077
• Your Roku Account: [personal information removed]
0 Kudos
jazdw
Level 7

RokuTV: 7120X
Brand Name: TCL
Device ID: FV286F266599
Your Roku Account information: 
Model Number: 55R615
Software: 8.1.2 build 4024-30

I have just bought this TV and it updated to the latest Roku after setup so I can't compare to previous versions, but the audio volume is really low. I am using ARC over HDMI to send the audio to my receiver. If I just listen to music or use my Xbox connected to my receiver only need to volume set to -30dB (volume level 52 on Roku TV) max, to hear Netflix on Roku I need it set to -15dB (volume level ~70) or more.

It seems to be an issue with the Dolby Digital encoder. If I turn the volume up to 70 on Roku I can hear terrible noise, crackling and popping, but if I switch the ARC/SPDIF setting to PCM it goes away. This is obviously not a work around as PCM is only 2.0. It also doesn't really help with the volume as when the TV downmixes the 5.1 content to 2.0 to output it as PCM it still ends up really low volume. The crackling is also manifest when playing content from Netflix when I have the volume levels set high enough to hear it, is there no way to just pass-through the audio directly?

PS Also had volume issues with a movie from the Roku TV channel, it's not just Netflix.
PPS. Also worth noting that I tried a optical audio cable and it made zero difference. Same issue.
0 Kudos