Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Porksodaguy
Level 7

High-Pitched Noise from my Reciever

Hi All,

I purchased a Roku Ultra roughly a year ago for use with my home theater.  I would on rare occasions experience a high-pitched "chirp" every now and then through my home theater speakers, and occasionally even a continuous tone that could only be stopped by cycling the power on my receiver.  As of 2-3 weeks ago, I get this noise almost continuously when using the Roku.

I experience this noise only with the Roku, and only when its sound is being played through my receiver (Denon AVR-3500H).  When the receiver is off, the receiver passes audio through to the TV and it plays normally.  I grabbed a Roku Stick from another room that has had no audio issues and plugged it into the receiver, and get the same issue.  I also tried using different HDMI ports, plugging my Blu-Ray player in via the same cable and port, and playing TV audio back through the receiver, and again only the Rokus have this noise issue.  I did a factory reset on my receiver, and even with the out-of-the-box settings I am still getting this incessant high-pitched, high-volume tone.  I confirmed both Rokus and my reciever have the latest firmware, and I tried swapping cables around between working and non-working devices.  I only get this issue when a Roku (either Roku) has its audio being played back by my Denon receiver.

Thoughts, suggestions?  I saw a few other posts here with similar issues, but none that pointed to a resolution.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
jacksonhorn
Level 7

Re: High-Pitched Noise from my Reciever

Did you find a resolution for this problem? I am experiencing the same issue. Once every few days the stereo will make a very loud chirping noise, almost like metal or glass cracking. This seems to only happen when streaming through the Roku.

0 Kudos
golfnest
Level 7

I have a plug in Roku stick on my smart tv and have experienced this same type high pitched chirping sound that would stop when reboot but keeps coming back now I am having trouble with streaming channel apps this has been going on for quite some time now can't get channels to come up it just spins and then goes to not connected but when I check it is getting excellent receiption. Also I have another streaming network Xfinity who I have my internet service with when I go to their channel they play perfectly well. Help anyone Blessings

RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hey @golfnest

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Steve-T
Level 7

I am getting the exact same issue on my Roku Ultra connected to my Onkyo receiver. It is extremely loud and obnoxious and you can't make it stop unless you get out of the app you are using. It has been happening on most of my apps( Netflix, Paramount Plus , Prime ect.)

Help

-Steve T

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Steve-T

Thanks for the post.

What exactly are the steps to reproduce the issue? If you connect your Roku device to the TV directly, are you still experiencing the issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Porksodaguy
Level 7

FWIW in my case I eventually went to Denon and their customer support took care of me.  I sent my AVR in for warranty service and when it came back the issue was resolved.  Sorry I can't be of more help to the folks posting more recent issues!

0 Kudos