Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murphzmom
Level 7

Help-screen mirroring on ipad

I am new and have checked past messages in the Forum but I have not found any current information, can anyone tell me if it is possible to screen mirror from my iPad and how I would go about doing so, thank you!!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Help-screen mirroring on ipad

Roku doesn't support AirPlay. There's been rumors Apple might bring it to Roku with the Apple TV service deal in the future. The Roku iOS app can display photos and videos taken by your iPhone/iPad camera if you want to view those. I think there's some apps that can mirror themselves from the iPad, but there's no native way to use AirPlay on Roku.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

I'm told Roku was designed for the purpose of streaming from the internet.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"Chicken" wrote:

This is correct. Hence why the original name for Roku was the "Netflix Player". It's designed to be completely cloud-based device. It's not a local player that plays Netflix, it's a Netflix Player that through certain channels can stream local network content. Now in this case, this is talking about mirroring, which is also a totally different technology. Apple has been pretty tight with AirPlay video, so it can keep people on its eco-system. Microsoft started adopting Miracast (which does work with Roku) and Google has shifted to the Chromecast (which does not work on Roku).
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:

This is correct. Hence why the original name for Roku was the "Netflix Player". It's designed to be completely cloud-based device. It's not a local player that plays Netflix, it's a Netflix Player that through certain channels can stream local network content. Now in this case, this is talking about mirroring, which is also a totally different technology. Apple has been pretty tight with AirPlay video, so it can keep people on its eco-system. Microsoft started adopting Miracast (which does work with Roku) and Google has shifted to the Chromecast (which does not work on Roku).

I'm able to play/send files to Roku in 3 ways, 1st of which I believe is mirroring, it's not entirely clear yet.  The results aren't acceptable.  The 2nd method I'm not sure what the protocol is but the results are quite good.  This 2nd method is sending the file to Roku using an android app but this requires internet service is active, else it appears Roku chimps out.  The 3rd method is using RMP to access an DLNA server running on the network, in my case an android app.  This uses RMP and doesn't require internet service.  So must be a hole in the Roku code that overlooks the absence of internet, I figure?
None of the three methods is near as smooth as the internet streaming.  I'm not sure a google device would suffice for local streaming either, sure would be nice to eliminate the DVD player but haven't discovered the good alternative.  One of these days I might give the google device a shot and see.
0 Kudos