Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
viewer
Level 7

Help an Aussie?

Hello, and thank you for letting me join your forum.

I am in Australia and have a Telstra TV box manufactured by Roku.

It is similar to the Roku 2, known as model #4200TL. 

It is out of warranty and has stopped connecting to my hdmi tv or any other device.

It powers up, but only a white light shows on the front, as well as the orange and green led lights on the ethernet outlet. Other Rokus light up the white led, but then turn brighter as they boot up...this one doesn't.

I have tried a hard reset, holding down the reset button for various lengths of time etc, but it is still unresponsive.

To check it, I have also connected another Roku to the existing wall plug and hdmi leads, and the other Roku works fine.

As soon as I reconnect this older one, all I get is the same front white led indicating power, but nothing happens?

The Australian outlet cannot help me/replace it, as it is out of warranty.

Is there any firmware or other way to make this work again, as it was working well? 

Thank you...
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help an Aussie?

Hi there! 

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, we aren't able to support these types of devices, including hardware or software updates. You'll need to contact Telstra directly for any additional support for the device, or questions about its software. 

I'm sorry that's probably not the answer you were hoping for, but those devices are managed solely by their respective service providers. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"viewer" wrote:
I have tried a hard reset, holding down the reset button for various lengths of time etc, but it is still unresponsive.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-
Find a paperclip and press the reset button for 20 seconds before removing the power cable. (In doubt hold for longer than 20 seconds will work too)
0 Kudos
viewer
Level 7

RokuTannerD and Tajson,
Hi, and thank you for your reply.

I have indeed tried that paperclip method with no result, as I did see that in my web searches.

Unfortunately, it is still the same, stuck on the white power led.

In regard to Telstra, they do not know a workaround.

I thought I would ask on this forum, as basically, despite the item being a proprietry one for Telstra, that the architecture and reset options would be the same, as they are all manufactured by Roku?

I was hoping an overseas(to me) forum member may have been able to resurrect one of their own out of warranty Roku boxes in some way, and thus be able to pass me on the information of what method they used.

Cheers and regards,
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"viewer" wrote:
I thought I would ask on this forum, as basically, despite the item being a proprietry one for Telstra, that the architecture and reset options would be the same, as they are all manufactured by Roku?

Should be or close to it so long as you make sure that you hit the pressure plate with the paperclip. You have the white light which means power on and the network's green is network on while orange is just a transfer indicator of sorts. When you used the other Roku, is it set up for wireless instead?

You could try the 3x30 reset for electronic devices: Device with power on, paperclip pressed on the reset button for 30 seconds, release the paperclip, take the power off, push the reset button again without power for 30 seconds, re-connect the power supply, and then use the paperclip again on the reset button for another 30 seconds while the power is on before releasing. It should not make a difference to the 20 second hard reset but we do not know the Telstra brand.
0 Kudos
viewer
Level 7

Many thanks again for telling me that 3 x 30 routine, but unfortunately it has no effect.

This is what our devices look like, also carrying the Roku branding

My other one is set up for wireless, however I have also tried this other not working one by direct ethernet to the router as well.

Unfortunately, it not giving me nothing via the hdmi output does not help, as no screen movement can be seen. Naturally, the other, on same power supply and hdmi cable, works flawlessly.

The only difference I note, is that both show the white led power indicator, however, on start up, the working one goes from white led power, to a brighter white led for a couple of seconds, and during its boot up, the working one blinks the white led a few times until up and running. The non working only ever displays the original white led indicating power.

0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 8

Did you perform the reset procedure with the HDMI cable attached to the Roku? I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Just throwing something out there.
0 Kudos
viewer
Level 7

Thank you again for the replies.

Yes, I have read in some places to only have the power cable attached as we reset, others saying leave it in.
I have tried both ways, albeit, all not helping.
Thanks for the replies...all of them are much appreciated.

EDIT...woops, meant to say HDMI tried in and out...sorry.
0 Kudos