Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help-- Roku XD displays fine but Ultra doesn't over HDMI

I have one TV in my house that will not properly display the output from an Ultra, but it doesn't have any problems displaying from an older XD or other devices (Dish Hoppers, BluRay players, etc) via the HDMI connection.  The problem isn't limited to a few channels, it is everything from the moment the Roku powers on and you get the jumping Roku logo to the home screen to any channel that I select.

I'm guessing that the problem is related to the refresh rate as the screen looks like it has ~8 horizontally overlapping images scrolling from left to right.  Here is a link to a picture https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaphiopzqetv0wo/Video.MOV?dl=0 showing what it looks like.

The TV is a Panasonic TH-42PD25.  Yes, I know that this is a 14 year old Plasma TV (I've moved the beast around a time or two Smiley Happy ) and I could just buy a new TV for $200 and not worry about this anymore.  But, I'd like to find a fix for the issue if I can.

I can connect the Ultra to any of my newer TVs and it works fine.  I've gone through everything that Roku Support has suggested.  They've finally given up and told me to work the compatibility issue through my TV manufacturer.  Which I know isn't going to provide any resolution.  The TV was built in 11/2004.  I'm guessing support ended for this model a few years ao.  Here is what I've done so far on the Roku, many of the things have been done multiple times.

Powered it off/on
Performed a Factory Reset
Changed the Autorefresh setting
Set the display to AutoDetect. It detects with 1080p & HDCP 1.4
Set the display to 720p as well as 1080p.  It's not a 4K TV, but I tried the 4K settings and of course they didn't work either.
Tried 5 different HDMI 2.0b compatible cables
Passing the connection through an HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 converter box
The TV only has one HDMI port, so I can't try another port on the TV to se if it is a problem with the TV's HDMI port
Connecting the Ultra to another TV using the same HDMI cable.  This works of course.

The Roku is at the latest software version.  I don't know about firmware versions.  If somebody can tell me how to find that out, I can post it later.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Like I said, I'd like to fix the problem without buying a new TV.  If it comes down to that I will, but I would like to exhaust all the other options first.

--Michael
4 Roku Ultra (4640)
1 Roku Premiere+ (4630)
1 Roku XD (2050)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Help-- Roku XD displays fine but Ultra doesn't over HDMI

I doubt you'll ever get a newer Roku to work on that set. I just looked up the specs, and its native resolution is 852 by 480. I found that the HDMI input accepts 720p and 1080i. The Ultra does not support 1080i, but in theory 720 should work. However, I wouldn't be surprised if that old of a set doesn't accurately handshake with a device so much newer, which is likely why the XD will work. The fact that auto-detect is reporting 1080p shows an inaccurate EDID handshake. Plus, the XD supports 480i/p, which the Ultra does not. That is probably the only resolution that will work, which is why the Ultra won't work. 
So unfortunately, there is no fix other than replacing the TV. I replaced a similar TV for my sister-in-law about a year ago. She didn't think it would be a big change going from an EDTV (which is what yours is) to an HDTV (full 1080p), but she was shocked when I turned it on. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

You could try an HDMI-Component converter box. Mixed reviews on this one -  some say it works great, others have different experiences. No issues with the converter...it's more a case of what devices are being used. So, it's a YMMV. Read the reviews. Free returns.

$60.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/ ... 03_1057813

Supposedly 20% off your first order (Google Express), so if you've never used Google Express, it should be around $48.

Edit - here's one from Amazon that gets 4 stars - $33 - https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Component-Converter-Scaler-support/dp/B00T75W692/  <-- This one apparently has various output options you can cycle through to see what gives the best picture.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

When I looked up his TV specs, it was noted that the component input did not accept 720p, so using an HDMI-Component converter will only give 480p at best. I'd hate to be living back in the SD world again for all content!  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"atc98092" wrote:
When I looked up his TV specs, it was noted that the component input did not accept 720p, so using an HDMI-Component converter will only give 480p at best. I'd hate to be living back in the SD world again for all content!  Smiley LOL

This is what I found on an old post from plasmatvbuyingguide - 

Thanks for this forum, it has been very helpful in deciding on a plasma. However, after reading all the questions here, I'm still not clear about the 720p HD format. Does the TH-42PD25U accept (and downsample gracefully) 720p HD format? Panasonic's web site tech specs HDTV compatibility for this model lists 1080i and 480p, but doesn't mention 720p. I read in another question's answer that the consumer division decided not to support 720p, but what happens when a station broadcasts their station in 720p format? 

From speaking with a Panasonic technical support representative, the plasmas will convert the 720p signals to 1080i from component or HDMI. It will accept 720p and not convert from the cable card or the VGA inputs. The TH42PD25 is an EDTV and the signal will be downcoverted to 480p. 

In the end, everything's output as 480p anyway, right?

0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

Ultra DOES support 1080i.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Thanks for the correction Dale. The info I found was a test by Sound and Vision magazine, which said no 720 support on the component input. And Rick is right, in the end 480 is all you see. Frankly, rather than messing with converters I'd just replace it. Since the Ultra doesn't seem to find the right setting to make it work, it just seems easier. And then you have a true 720 or 1080 image. Best Buy has 43" 1080 sets for $200. The Ultra will look great on something like that.
Dan
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

My read of the manual for that Panasonic TH-42PD25, is that it does NOT support 720P.
It supports 1080i, 480i,480p.
This is a real early TV.
Try forcing it to 1080p and it might let you run 1080i.

0 Kudos