Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdotten510
Reel Rookie

Hdcp error every time with Roku 4

Jump to solution

I'm about to trash my Roku 4. We all know how to fix the error. Now, how do you fix it from happening every time the TVs powered off for over an hour.  I have to restart Roku from the menu every single time I turn on the TV. Started doing it out of the blue months ago and I'm pissed.. must be Putin.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vakko
Roku Guru

Re: Hdcp error every time. Wth

Jump to solution

The Roku 4 is a very old and outdated unit. It was discontinued back in September of 2016. It is possible the unit has an internal failure. So it would be in your best interest to upgrade to a newer unit. There is a huge summer sale going on. Everything is on sale. A new HDMI cable is something to try. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Try different HDMI cables and/or different TV sets and see if that will fix it.

~ Jordan 

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The Roku 4 is a very old and outdated unit. It was discontinued back in September of 2016. It is possible the unit has an internal failure. So it would be in your best interest to upgrade to a newer unit. There is a huge summer sale going on. Everything is on sale. A new HDMI cable is something to try. 

JamieC

Jump to solution

I bought the Roku 4K recently to enable my Spectrum TV subscription. The only time the error appears is when trying to load Spectrum & it does not appear every time. I can watch all the other channels just fine, Roku Channel, Roku Live and other channels that I have searched for & loaded. I want to view channels on Spectrum, Golf, USA (Tour de France). I can hear the audio of the channel I was last on, but it is covered up by the error screen (error 020). The Spectrum clowns are not helpful. 

0 Kudos
rdotten510
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks all. It is an Roku Ultra. Changed HDMI  cable. Problem solved...so far. Good advice 

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rdotten510  Glad that your Roku is working again! 🙂

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Phender101
Reel Rookie

Re: Hdcp error every time with Roku 4

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Ultra and it does it at least twice a week for me.

Ready to get rid of this myself.

0 Kudos
Phender101
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Also, I've tried plugging the HDMI into a different slot and still get the error and I cannot view any of the apps or channels. Not just Spectrum.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Phender101

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

For us to further help you out, it would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions:

1. What Roku model device are you using? Is this a new Roku device, or have you had this for a while? You can check your model by navigating to Settings > System > About
  2. What is your TV resolution? Is it 1080p or lower?
  3. When did you start seeing this issue occur?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Phender101
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This error is on the Roku Ultra and I've had that device for 2 years.

Resolution is 1920x1080. I've been getting this error for over a month now. I unplug the device and the cords and this resets it for a couple days but then the error comes back. I've also changed the HDMI slots.

Thank you

0 Kudos