Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nori_Star
Level 7

Has anyone powered Roku through the USB on their TV?

My parent want to get a Streaming Stick+ for their new 4k tv but everything is wired into the wall in a way that plugging in the power adapter is not possible. Not so smart on the builder's part, I know. I have the regular Streaming Stick and I tried using the USB on my 5 year old tv and my Roku wouldn't even turn on. I was wondering if anyone has had better results or if it's a lost cause.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
apodtele
Level 7

Re: Has anyone powered Roku through the USB on their TV?

It is described in the manual and it works.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Some TVs can power a Roku, and some cannot. I have one that can, and one that cannot.

Have you thought about a small, cheap extension cord from Walmart, Family Dollar, or some such? 
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 7

I power both my Roku sticks by the USB option. Both TVs are less than 5 years old.

Some TV USB ports are only for input from a USB stick, for example.

But other TV USB ports offer input, and, output power.

But, as the Roku manual states: "Some USB ports do not provide sufficient continuous power."
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos
Nori_Star
Level 7

Hmm, I think I'l bring my roku over and try it with my parents' tv. Theirs is brand new so maybe it will work. If not, I'll look into the extension cord option. Thanks!
0 Kudos