Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

HULU program not playing after a commercial

After the latest update when a watching Hulu and a commercial plays, at the end of the commercial the picture freezes but the audio of the program plays. I've tried a factory rest which did not fit it.

89 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: HULU program not playing after a commercial

After receiving a Roku operating system update, it is a good idea to do an additional manual update check to be sure any necessary channel app updates get installed.

Settings > System > System update

I think your factory reset would have re-installed all the latest channel versions, but it can't hurt to make sure.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you. I'll give it a try

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I’m having the same issue. I have checked updates on both Hulu and the roku, I’ve tried restarting it, unplugging it, nothing has worked! 

Highlighted

I keep having the same issue it’s skipping scenes, then it goes to an ad and at then end of the ad the screen freezes and audio continues, I rewind it to where it left off before getting skipped and it just keeps skipping the same scene and the same thing happens all over again!! I have delete the app and reinstalled, restarted the roku and router and it’s still happening 

Highlighted
Level 16

My guess:

Perhaps the commercials on HULU are being transmitted in a different resolution and/or frame rate than the main program. As a result, every time it switches into or out of the commercial breaks, the combined Roku/HDMI/TV system must reconfigure itself to accommodate the change.

Try changing the Roku's "Display type" settings (Home > Settings > Display type) to your TV's native resolution, rather than "Auto" to minimize the disruption caused by the switch and see if that helps.

Also, your Roku may have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item at Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced display settings.  Try disabling this.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 9

Thank you for the suggestions.   I tried setting the display type rather than relying upon auto-detect.  Unfortunately, that didn't work for Express+ Model 3931

Highlighted

Thanks I just tried it, it didn’t work though 😭

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I have tried everything I can think of. My other Roku- Streaming stick  3810R works just fine

Highlighted
Level 7

Any way to get this post bumped up? I'm having same issue and none of these fixes did anything.