Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frustr8dRkuUsr
Streaming Star

HDhomerun and Roku DVR playback has choppy video and audio

I am now having choppy and distorted playback of recorded DVR content from my HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO.  Blocky/frozen playback, skipping audio and the like.  It happens on every Roku in my house.  I have both wired and wireless Roku boxes in a variety of flavors.  The HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO is wired.  This happens with both new and previously recorded content in every resolution.  If I use the HDHomerun app on wired Windows or wireless Android tablet the playback is flawless for the same content.

Something has changed with HDHomrun app on Roku and HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO dvr playback.

HDHomerun app

Ver 55.0 build 20200504

HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO

Hardware Model HDVR-4US-1TB
Firmware Version 20210227

Roku's

2020 Ultra

2019 Ultra

Hisense 50R6+

Streaming Stick Plus

Anyone else seeing this?

14 REPLIES 14
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HDhomerun and Roku DVR playback has choppy video and audio

The channel owners create their own Roku channel apps written to run on the Roku operating system, provide their apps to Roku, and maintain them. The only channels controlled by Roku are their own The Roku Channel, the Roku Media Player, and several Roku-specific information channels. For everything else Roku just provides the platform on which the channel's own apps run. Problems in how a particular channel operates should be directed to that channel, in this case HDhomerun.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
renojim

Try their forum:  https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Frustr8dRkuUsr
Streaming Star

Silicondust claims there is a bug in the new Roku software that causes problems.

To be fair, it did work before Roku changed software.  Silicondust has not changed software on their App in a long time.

makaiguy

Just like software developers whose software must run on a computer's operating system, it is incumbent on the software developer to keep up with changes in the operating system.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Frustr8dRkuUsr
Streaming Star

Silicon Dust is working the issue and is requesting diagnostic information from Roku.  They need a Roku tech to contact to help them with the issues.  Is there a way to get the two side together?  Here is a response on their community.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=75128&p=371319#p371319

0 Kudos
atc98092

One other suggestion. If you have framerate matching enabled, try turning it off. Streaming MPEG2 video from my DLNA server is often choppy with that enabled. It's never affected the audio, but the DLNA service might be smoothing that out. And I am referring to media that my server does not transcode, so that wouldn't be the reason.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dougsteron
Channel Surfer

I reported this issue a while back. I can't watch recorded content using the HDHomeRun app due to the video stream is choppy, Silicon Support says the issue is with the Roku media player so Roku should fix the issue. It started to occur immediately after the last Roku OS update. 

The Roku Support person I was working with is @RokuDanny-R .

0 Kudos
Frustr8dRkuUsr
Streaming Star

Choppy DVR video playback on all of my Roku devices still exists.

Roku did finally fix my New roku Ultra aspect ratio problem that they kept blaming on Silicon Dust.

If they would only just start working the problem.

Frustr8dRkuUsr
Streaming Star

Yea, nobody cares.

I wonder which device was the bad choice, Roku or SiliconDust?