Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rey_1178
Level 7

Re: HDR Not working

I've been waiting for about 4 months now on a fix for the HDR issue with my ultra.
0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

"rey_1178" wrote:
I've been waiting for about 4 months now on a fix for the HDR issue with my ultra.

Other than Tanner on here, they may have the worst support I've encountered from a consumer electronics company. 
Support FINALLY responded to my request from over a week ago. They basically said "Hey sorry it took us so long to respond. Do you still need help?"
Seriously????? At this point maybe they should buy back the devices they broke. I'd get an Apple TV and be on my way. (That is quite a revelation from me as I despise Apple)
They rendered my devices useless (I don't recall the date, but I thought it was closer to 6 months). Why am I paying for their mistake? 
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 8

"rey_1178" wrote:

The 9.1 update has fixed my HDR issues - Support had previously allowed my device to revert to 8.1 to restore HDR functionality with 4k 60hz.
0 Kudos
snielsen85
Level 7

I'm a first time roku ultra 4660 owner on operating system 9.1. I'm not having problems with hdr but have issues with sound which weirdly enough I think is related to 4k hdr. I have the Roku connected to HDMI 1 on my HW-K850 sound bar to my Samsung ks8000 TV. If I set audio to auto, DD+, or DD+/DTS I lose audio if I rewind or fast forward. If I set video to output 1080p I have no audio issues. I didn't have a chance to test the ultra with firmware version 8. Do you guys think this is a firmware issue or innate Roku problem not playing nice with a sound bar? I also get hdcp errors briefly at the beginning of video playing but disappears in 1-2 seconds and then plays fine.
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 8

"snielsen85" wrote:
I'm a first time roku ultra 4660 owner on operating system 9.1. I'm not having problems with hdr but have issues with sound which weirdly enough I think is related to 4k hdr. I have the Roku connected to HDMI 1 on my HW-K850 sound bar to my Samsung ks8000 TV. If I set audio to auto, DD+, or DD+/DTS I lose audio if I rewind or fast forward. If I set video to output 1080p I have no audio issues. I didn't have a chance to test the ultra with firmware version 8. Do you guys think this is a firmware issue or innate Roku problem not playing nice with a sound bar? I also get hdcp errors briefly at the beginning of video playing but disappears in 1-2 seconds and then plays fine.

It sounds like a handshaking issue.  If you are connecting the Roku through an A/V receiver, see if there is a setting for 4K mode from Enhanced to Standard.  Some TV's also have similar settings for their HDR modes.  For example, my Pioneer Elite receiver has a hidden menu for 3 HDMI modes that deal with handshaking and a new 4K Enhanced/Standard menu to toggle between if you are experiencing such dropouts.  My Samsung Q9 TV also has modes you must put the TV in the get it to accept 4K/HDR signals.
0 Kudos
snielsen85
Level 7

Unfortunately my TV only allows UHD on or off for the HDMI port and my soundbar doesn't have any advance settings in terms of 4K passthrough. I've been PM with Tanner on here and he is trying to help me. But I'm wondering if the Roku Ultra is not compatible with my setup. 
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 8

"snielsen85" wrote:
Unfortunately my TV only allows UHD on or off for the HDMI port and my soundbar doesn't have any advance settings in terms of 4K passthrough. I've been PM with Tanner on here and he is trying to help me. But I'm wondering if the Roku Ultra is not compatible with my setup. 

Tanner is great.  On the Roku, also try going to (Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Display Settings) . There should be two entries in that section (Auto-adjust display refresh rate) and (HDR subsampling).  I usually disabled the auto-adjust as some apps on the older OS didn't play well with it.  But under the HDR subsampling you should see two entries (4.2.0) and (4.2.2).  These can be important in how the Roku interacts with your TV.  For me, on the 9.0 OS, choosing one subsampling vs the other would cause my Roku to crash.  Additionally, there is a secret Roku menu where it will report what it thinks your TV and Roku are capable of pertaining to capabilities.  It will not hurt any device to access it.  From the main Roku home screen, using the arrow keys to 'quickly' complete the following sequence = Click (Home) 5 times, (Down) 1 time, (Left arrow) 1 time, (Up arrow) 3 times. The 'HDMI Secret Screen' (literally the name) will then come up.  This screen will show if the Roku thinks your TV will accept or not accept various 4K modes (60/30), 1080p/1080i, 720P, 10-bit YCC420/YXX444, 4KHDR (60/30).  It will also list at the bottom your HDCP Status as 'Authenticated' or not and the HDCP version.  On the lower right will be a label (*Enable Automatic Recovery).  If enabled, this will tell the Roku you wish it to reset any Display setting you may have chosen to force it to enable on a reboot. (Keep in mind HDCP issues can be attributed to older/poor cables as well)
0 Kudos
snielsen85
Level 7

• So my Soundbar can pass through 4k HDR 4:4:4 @ 30Hz or it can pass 4K HDR 4:2:0 @60Hz. I currently have advanced video settings at enabled native frame rate and HDR subsampling at 4:2:0. When I go into the secret HDMI menu it shows it is capable of 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 HDR. And says HDCP 2.2 authenticated. Is their a way to force just 4:2:0. I wonder if it is having issues with 4:4:4 @ 60Hz. But even more confusing is that the shows I'm watching like Futureman on Hulu(source is 1080p)s where I get the most problems with the HDCP 2.2 error, especially during commercials. 
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 8

"snielsen85" wrote:

• So my Soundbar can pass through 4k HDR 4:4:4 @ 30Hz or it can pass 4K HDR 4:2:0 @60Hz. I currently have advanced video settings at enabled native frame rate and HDR subsampling at 4:2:0. When I go into the secret HDMI menu it shows it is capable of 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 HDR. And says HDCP 2.2 authenticated. Is their a way to force just 4:2:0. I wonder if it is having issues with 4:4:4 @ 60Hz. But even more confusing is that the shows I'm watching like Futureman on Hulu(source is 1080p)s where I get the most problems with the HDCP 2.2 error, especially during commercials. 

try changing the subsampling to 4.2.2. Since You mentioned dropouts on commercials, try setting your auto-adjust refresh rate to the other setting.
0 Kudos
rey_1178
Level 7

"redtommy76" wrote:

The 9.1 update has fixed my HDR issues - Support had previously allowed my device to revert to 8.1 to restore HDR functionality with 4k 60hz.

Yep! Same here.
0 Kudos