Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redtommy76
Level 8

Re: HDR Not working

"cobra617" wrote:
Not following on why we should get our devices flagged for no update.

I want to have my device updated as HDR doesn't work right now. Now, if there was a way to force a downgrade to 8.x, sign me up!


I was referring to the other poster that had the 8.1 version put on.  If the device was not then flagged not to update, it would then within 2 days load a newer version which would have the HDR issues. 
0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

Re: HDR Not working

Ahhh...ok Thanks.
0 Kudos
rey_1178
Level 7

Re: HDR Not working

"redtommy76" wrote:
"rey_1178" wrote:
"redtommy76" wrote:
I've been working with Tanner for a few weeks.  We've been able to determine its not an issue with Samsung or Pioneer Elite (They both worked fine before the 9.0 OS).  We were able to confirm reverting to a version of Roku  OS 8 corrected all issues. 

I confirmed this back in early January. So my question is when will this be fixed? The roku eventually forced the update to OS9 not letting you go back again to OS8.

Reach out to Tanner. He is going to try and flag mine not to update for the time being. 

I'll do that, thank you. In my case they'd need to figure out how I can revert back again to OS8 since I went back to it once via the advanced menu and can no longer do it myself.
0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

Re: HDR Not working

I'll reach out as well, but my patience is wearing thin with Roku. I get that way when I feel that someone is trying to rip me off. And that is exactly how I feel with Roku. I bought these devices. Roku broke them. We can't go through Roku support because apparently they don't care. We have to come here and work through a person on the forums (who I am thankful is helping us). Maybe if we get enough people to complain, Roku might look at this issue. Has anyone else stopped to think how absurd this is?

I am pretty annoyed that Roku rendered 3 Roku Premiere + and 1 Ultra that I own useless by forcing a FW upgrade on them. I bought these specifically for HDR support. So without HDR, these are doorstops for me. We're going on what? 6 months since these were broken by OS9? My faith in Roku fixing these is shot. And that is why I feel ripped off. So forgive me for being peeved at a company that took my money for something but then broke them and now I am stuck with hundreds of dollars of tsotskis. I suspect that this problem is more widespread but most users just won't notice. 

Sorry about my rant, but I am just peeved at Roku's complete disregard for this issue. 
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 8

Re: HDR Not working

"cobra617" wrote:
I'll reach out as well, but my patience is wearing thin with Roku. I get that way when I feel that someone is trying to rip me off. And that is exactly how I feel with Roku. I bought these devices. Roku broke them. We can't go through Roku support because apparently they don't care. We have to come here and work through a person on the forums (who I am thankful is helping us). Maybe if we get enough people to complain, Roku might look at this issue. Has anyone else stopped to think how absurd this is?

I am pretty annoyed that Roku rendered 3 Roku Premiere + and 1 Ultra that I own useless by forcing a FW upgrade on them. I bought these specifically for HDR support. So without HDR, these are doorstops for me. We're going on what? 6 months since these were broken by OS9? My faith in Roku fixing these is shot. And that is why I feel ripped off. So forgive me for being peeved at a company that took my money for something but then broke them and now I am stuck with hundreds of dollars of tsotskis. I suspect that this problem is more widespread but most users just won't notice. 


I feel similarly.  Tanner was great and patient to work with for what its worth him not being 'an official support channel'.  Temporary fix or not, at least I have confirmation in writing that the issue isn't my equipment, cables, etc.

Sorry about my rant, but I am just peeved at Roku's complete disregard for this issue. 
0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

Re: HDR Not working

I agree about Tanner. He or she has been awesome. But, support should come from Roku themselves. It feels like this is a side project for Tanner. And I also feel that if Tanner weren't doing this, Roku would never bother to admit a problem.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: HDR Not working

"cobra617" wrote:
I agree about Tanner. He or she has been awesome. But, support should come from Roku themselves. It feels like this is a side project for Tanner. And I also feel that if Tanner weren't doing this, Roku would never bother to admit a problem.

Tanner IS Roku. He’s the Roku employee who is in charge of this forum. See the “Roku” in the name? Only Roku employees have that.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

Re: HDR Not working

"DBDukes" wrote:
Tanner IS Roku. He’s the Roku employee who is in charge of this forum. See the “Roku” in the name? Only Roku employees have that.

I think we all know that. The issue is that support won't do anything and we only have Tanner to work through. 6 months since this release with HDR being broken and nothing to show for it.  
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 8

Re: HDR Not working

"cobra617" wrote:
I'll reach out as well, but my patience is wearing thin with Roku. I get that way when I feel that someone is trying to rip me off. And that is exactly how I feel with Roku. I bought these devices. Roku broke them. We can't go through Roku support because apparently they don't care. We have to come here and work through a person on the forums (who I am thankful is helping us). Maybe if we get enough people to complain, Roku might look at this issue. Has anyone else stopped to think how absurd this is?

I am pretty annoyed that Roku rendered 3 Roku Premiere + and 1 Ultra that I own useless by forcing a FW upgrade on them. I bought these specifically for HDR support. So without HDR, these are doorstops for me. We're going on what? 6 months since these were broken by OS9? My faith in Roku fixing these is shot. And that is why I feel ripped off. So forgive me for being peeved at a company that took my money for something but then broke them and now I am stuck with hundreds of dollars of tsotskis. I suspect that this problem is more widespread but most users just won't notice. 

Sorry about my rant, but I am just peeved at Roku's complete disregard for this issue. 

Your frustration and recognition of absurdity are well founded.
There just isn't any good rational reason why Roku wont allow firmware rollbacks with auto-update blocks/locks, especially when its clearly the latest/or a recent update that caused the dysfunctionality.  Then again, many/most of the CE device manufacturers operate the exact same way, disallowing or having no/no easy method or process for firmware/software reversion/rollback - which is ironic given that all these devices are simply specialized computers - a market that utterly understands software/firmware rollbacks/reversions so much so there are built-in functions to rollback/revert/uninstall/etc.
These CE companies simply still dont understand, even in the era of computer-based CE, that they need to allow/provide for software/firmware rollbacks/reversions because of the high likelihood of software/firmware update revision dysfunctionality for some specific models/configurations.
Think of how much frustration could be avoided and consumer satisfaction created if Roku (or any other CE company) simply allowed end-user control of just this one aspect of CE product usage.
0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

Re: HDR Not working

Has anything happened here?

I've contacted Roku to ask what they are going to do about basically bricking multiple Roku Premiere + that I own and all I get is crickets. I've seen another thread where HDR is broken on TCL sets as well. 
0 Kudos