Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rey_1178
Level 7

Re: HDR Not working

"redtommy76" wrote:
"rey_1178" wrote:
I am in the same boat as you cobra617 since OS9 came out. Roku thought it was a hardware issue and replaced my roku ultra even though that made no sense to me. If it works with the previous firmware then it doesn't after the update,it's software. I confirmed that when I was able to roll back to OS8.1  build 4083 and HDR worked again, but there was no way to stop the roku from updating again. 

My setup is 4660X Roku Ultra running through my AVR Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 then to my TV Samsung QN75Q6FNAFXZA.  If I hook my roku straight to the TV HDR does work but that's not my setup. The issue isn't on my end, it's a bug in their firmware. None of my other components that do HDR have an issue and again the roku works perfectly with the older firmware. My case is still open and Roku says they are working on it but it's real frustrating to have bought all this stuff back in November to switch over to 4k and suddenly not have the roku display HDR content. 

Please if you haven't, report your issue to RokuTannerDB and hopefully the more people speak up the more likely they get this resolved. I don't get why not just revert back to the previous firmware until all the bugs are worked out. 

Similar issue.  Roku connected to Pioneer Elite AVR which then is connected to my Samsung Q9 will only do HDR 30fps if the Samsung Q9 has the avr input switched to HDMI UHD Color to off (and this is intermittent).  Cables are certified 18gbs rocketfish cables and shorter length. Roku connected directly to Samsung one connect with the input configured to HDR mode on shows full 30/60 HDR support.  All other AVR devices show no HDR issues when connected to the Samsung with its input HDMI UDH Color mode enabled.  Just the ROKU. 

Actually I can do the exact same thing you posted there. There's something this roku update broke related to when it's connected through the Pioneer AVR.  I wish they'd figure it out already. 
0 Kudos
rey_1178
Level 7

Latest update still hasn't fixed this HDR issue.
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 8

"rey_1178" wrote:
Latest update still hasn't fixed this HDR issue.

Nope and I can't find the release notes for what it was supposed to do. No change
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@rey_1178
@redtommy76

If you haven't already, please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device, and a recap of the make/model of both your TV and A/V receiver. Please also include the channel(s) & content titles which you're observing the issue on, and what your current settings are in Settings>Display type. I'll follow up directly to gather more info and assist you further from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
mcphailben
Level 7

"StreamerUserDude" wrote:
HDR isn't broken on these devices with the latest firmware - the huge vast majority of users are using it just fine.

The reason "most people dont realize it isnt working", is, in fact, because it is.  It isnt "a bigger issue" because it isnt, in fact, a bigger issue.

HDR is working - it's just not working in a specific configuration for either of you.

Both of you have Samsung TVs connected to Pioneer Elite AVRs, and are connecting the Roku's through the AVRs.

Coincidence?

One of you did basic troubleshooting and clearly acknowledges the HDR works properly when connected directly to the TV.   The other would probably also discover the same if they directly connected as well.

Is it reasonably fair to claim the Roku HDR isn't working if when directly connected to the TV it does in fact work?

Both of you had working HDR with previous firmware versions in your connection configurations and it surely is frustrating that the upgrade broke HDR in your specific similar configurations.

And while Roku is a bit absurd (yet predictable) in sending out another unit or refusing locked-rollbacks to previous firmware versions, it just isn't accurate to claim that HDR isn't working in these devices - at worst it isn't working for some specific configurations with the latest firmware on some Roku models (a problem surely every firmware version has with different functionality on different Roku models).

Is there something that prevents either one of you, at least temporarily, from connecting it directly to the TV until/while Roku resolves the issues with your specific configs?

If it works that way, connect it that way until they issue a newer firmware that fixes the issue.  Working with a non-preferred connection is better than not working at all.

I don't have a Samsung and am directly connected to the tv with a Premiere+ and am having this issue.
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 8

I've been working with Tanner for a few weeks.  We've been able to determine its not an issue with Samsung or Pioneer Elite (They both worked fine before the 9.0 OS).  We were able to confirm reverting to a version of Roku  OS 8 corrected all issues. 
0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

Thanks for the update. I am hoping that I can use my Roku again in the near future.
0 Kudos
rey_1178
Level 7

"redtommy76" wrote:
I've been working with Tanner for a few weeks.  We've been able to determine its not an issue with Samsung or Pioneer Elite (They both worked fine before the 9.0 OS).  We were able to confirm reverting to a version of Roku  OS 8 corrected all issues. 

I confirmed this back in early January. So my question is when will this be fixed? The roku eventually forced the update to OS9 not letting you go back again to OS8.
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 8

"rey_1178" wrote:
"redtommy76" wrote:

I confirmed this back in early January. So my question is when will this be fixed? The roku eventually forced the update to OS9 not letting you go back again to OS8.

Reach out to Tanner. He is going to try and flag mine not to update for the time being. 
0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

Not following on why we should get our devices flagged for no update.

I want to have my device updated as HDR doesn't work right now. Now, if there was a way to force a downgrade to 8.x, sign me up!
0 Kudos