Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cobra617
Level 7

Re: HDR Not working

I had disconnected my Roku and forgotten about it for months. I got an email from support on December 7th. Mind you my last response to them was on April 27th. That is some impressive support there.

Anyways, it said to update my software and everything should be stable now. (I didn't have a problem with stability, my problem was no HDR).

I unplugged an Apple TV 4K that works great with HDR. I get the Roku setup and updated. I went in and chose 4K HDR @ 60Hz and got all 3 checkmarks. Excitement at first. Then I noticed that my TV wasn't reporting HDR. Even though the Roku says I am in HDR mode. 

Went in to Netflix and chose some HDR content and....no HDR. Are you kidding me right now Roku? How many months has this problem been going on?

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@cobra617 

Thanks for following up. There isn't currently a known issue around HDR as long as your device is recognizing 4K HDR 60HZ as your display type. This is required in order for Netflix, Disney+ and a few other channels that only currently support HDR content for 4K HDR 60Hz display types. 

You mentioned you weren't seeing an HDR badge when you initiate playback. A few things to review, test, and troubleshoot here: 

- Did you try turning on the debug function of streaming stats in Netflix to see if your internet connection or device's connection to Netflix servers is reporting sufficient bandwidth to stream in HDR? If you aren't seeing the minimum connection speed, you wouldn't be able to stream HDR. 

- Another thing you'll want to double check is that your TV is configured to enable any HDR settings available, such as LG's 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color' or HDR mode on Sony or Samsung models. 

- You may also want to try adjusting your HDR subsampling setting in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 to see if this helps with your specific setup. These HDR subsampling settings can also be modified on many A/V receivers, and may require an adjustment to get the proper signal to pass through from your Roku device through the receiver to your TV. 

Please take a look through each of these and let me know if you're able to resolve the issue by verifying those details, and testing any possible adjustments. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

Tanner,

The problem is isolated to the Roku. I plug in an Apple 4K to the same exact HDMI cable and HDR works just fine. 

Selecting different subsample rates on the Roku make no difference. This only affects Samsung TVs. If I plug this Roku into any other TV (actually A/V receiver because all of my TVs have A/V receivers) in my home (I have quite a few) My 3 LGs, 2 Sonys TVs and 4K JVC projector seem to be just fine with HDR. 

On my Samsungs

- QN82Q80R with Denon AVR-X4400H receiver
- QN82Q8FN with Onkyo TX-RZ720

- UN65NU8000FXZA with Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301

HDR just isn't working. 

At this point to be honest I had given up on Roku. The only reason I checked the other day was because I got the months old email response from Roku support. I replied, so I guess in about 6 months I'll receive a reply to that email which will prompt me to check again. I am not kidding either. I received a response on Dec. 7th, to my last email to Roku support dated April 27th. I guess open ticket time isn't a metric that matters to them. Smiley Frustrated
All of the non-Samsung TVs (except the JVC Projector) have Apple TV 4K (Because I wanted Dolby Vision). The 3 Samsungs have ATV 4K as well because HDR was broken for months. 

I started this thread back in February. Now back then the HDR check would fail. Now it passes the HDR check but both Amazon Prime and Netflix both are not passing HDR.  

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Thanks for letting us know. A few more questions here to help pass along additional details: 

- Do Vudu, Movies Anywhere, YouTube, or the Disney+ channel play HDR content successfully?

- Is HDR+ mode enabled on your Samsung TVs? 

- On your AVRs, have you tried configuring 4:4:4 subsampling for AVR, then trying both 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 in your Roku's settings to see if this allows HDR to be played successfully? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
baddceo
Level 10

Tanner

What I find most disturbing is the amount of work Roku is suggesting the homeowner should bounce through to figure out which settings might produce a reasonable outcome.  The homeowner already confirmed that every other setup is producing an HDR result as they expect with another product, Apple TV I believe.  Why shouldn't the Roku respond in a similar fashion with the settings that other products accept.  It would appear that the volume of issues around this effort seem focused on the Roku box not responding according to the TVs capabilities rather than a user error.  Not saying that is the case all the time but I get the feeling Roku is not addressing the heart of the matter, rather passing along fault to other equipment or TVs or settings.  Perhaps Roku should be testing more TVs and settings and passing along its findings to the user community rather than the other way around.  There are more streaming providers coming out and with it quite easy to switch without big headaches Roku is going to find themselves losing customers for other products which do it better, easier and smarter than yours.  These are smart TVs connected to smart devices so having to educate Roku in a smart arena doesn't seem very smart.

0 Kudos
cobra617
Level 7

Tanner,

Thanks for the response, but honestly, I retired my Rokus (all of them are either 4630X or 4660X Rokus) and moved on to ATV 4K. It most definitely is not an issue with my TV or A/V receiver as the affected Samsung setups all have an Apple TV 4K and UHD players and both of them pass HDR just fine. I am thankful for the assistance, but I just don't have the time to pull them back out and re-connect them. I put the one 4630X I had pulled to test with back onto my retired equipment shelves in my basement. I had no issues with HDR on 8.x. As soon as 9.x was pushed to my Rokus, HDR stopped working on my Samsung setups. Most people would have never noticed. Especially now, as the programs on Netflix show the little HDR icon next to the program description. I am just that picky that I can pick up on this. The TV doesn't show an HDR icon in the info screen (first clue), nor do I have the option of choosing an HDR picture mode (2nd and definitive clue), only the SDR picture modes are available. 

I cannot say that after April (when I started replacing my Rokus with Apple TV 4K) or so that the problem wasn't fixed and then re-introduced recently. 

The symptoms I saw over the weekend are a bit different than when this problem first occurred, but the end result is the same (no HDR). If you recall earlier in this thread, it was a common theme that the original HDR issue affected Samsung TV owners.  

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Musechaser
Level 7

I hate to do this, but I've got to add my voice to this. Roku 4, model 4400x, software 9.2.0, build 4807-17, connected directly to an appropriate, hdmi "enhanced format" 4k 60p 4:2:0 10 bit, 4:4:4, 4:2:2 enabled port on a Sony XBR-75X900F. Roku detects full 4k 10-bit and HDCP 2.2, green checks to both. Yet, hdr content does not play as hdr content. The same content plays beautifully on the native apps in the Sony set, and also on the native Roku apps on a Roku TCL tv (55R605) in another room. On a whim, I hooked up the Roku 4 to the TCL Roku tv, verified the full 4k 60p 10 bit connection via the Roku 4 settings menu checks, and still... no hdr on that tv either via the Roku 4. Erego...the issue must be with the Roku 4's handling of the content, since the displays, cables, and settinfs verify just fine.

Tanner..you were very helpful trying to solve issues with what turned out to be a defective Tcl 75R615 (which led to its replacement with the aforementioned Sony). Can you solve this dilemma.

Thanks..look forward to reading your thoughts.

0 Kudos
Joseph1
Level 7

I have a roku streaming stick+ on 9.2.0 build 4807-50 works fine with HDR. I have a roku ultra on 9.2.0 build 4807-46 doesn't do HDR. 

I want to use the ultra for ethernet support. But also want HDR!

Stick or Ultra connected to Marantz SR5014 which is connected to Sony KD-65XG8505 . Have changed Sony TV and Marantz to enhanced HDMI. The Roku ultra still doesnt do HDR. Have connected Ultra direct to TV - still doesnt do HDR. The roku stick does HDR even if i leave TV and Marantz in standard for HDMI. When i directly connected the ultra to the TV I used the HDMI lead that was run between Marantz and TV. I know this lead can do HDR as when stick is connected to Marantz and picture sent through this lead it comes through in HDR. 

The issue is the ultra. I have tried software update on ultra but it says device is up to date. 

Please advice.

0 Kudos
Musechaser
Level 7

First to answer my own issue two posts back... the Roku4 supports 4K but NOT HDR.. I didn't realize that.  I have an Ultra which works fine on HDR source material. My apologies for blaming Roku for my misunderstanding.

To the previous poster Joseph1 - make sure you have the output of your Ultra correctly in its settings menu to enable HDR output. It's not enabled by default. Also, on some televisions, only one or two of the HDMI inputs are HDR-enabled. Make sure you're using the correct input. 

0 Kudos
Harshmf69
Level 7

Yea Roku isn’t capable of doing **bleep** so I would t expect much from them 

go buy a s amazing or something 

**bleep** roku

0 Kudos