Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jayton
Level 7

HDR Not Working With Game Console

I’ve noticed as of late that my tv does not display HDR correctly anymore especially on my game consoles like PS4. I tried resetting my console itself but nothing changed. When opening a game the image  becomes washed out. I have tried resetting and unplugging the HDMI cable. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: HDR Not Working With Game Console

@Jayton Thanks for the note. There are a few things for you to try/check here that may help clear up the issue. 

1. Visit Settings>System>System update>Check now to ensure your TV is on the latest version of Roku OS. 

2. During playback of content or video from your PS4, press the * key on your Roku remote. You should see a menu open on the lefthand side of the screen that allows you to adjust HDR picture settings. Try choosing a different picture mode for HDR playback, and/or adjusting other color settings. 

3. Ensure that the HDMI cable you are using to connect your PS4 to your TV is HDCP 2.2 certified. This is required for proper 4K HDR content playback. 

4. Try resetting audio/picture settings for your TV in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Factory reset>Reset TV audio/picture settings. Then, play content once more. 

If those steps don't help resolve the issue, please provide more details about your model of Roku TV, the specific game or content that you are trying to play on your PS4 that you observe an issue with, and any pictures of the issue occurring. If you could also highlight a particular streaming channel and example content title where you see a difference in HDR display, meaning where it appears differently or as you would expect, please note that as well. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Bsmoke
Level 7

I am also experiencing the same problem on my two Roku TV's with my PS4's. The hdr worked until a week or so ago when they both became washed out looking. I tried resetting everything but nothing seemed to change. I decided to turn off hdr on my PlayStations.

0 Kudos
Z45123
Level 7

Same here HDR not working tried everything I will never buy a Roku tv again

0 Kudos
Z45123
Level 7

All of my inputs are not able to use HDR I am sick of the  update that ruined everything same with Dolby which is gone as well

0 Kudos
Stupppid
Level 7

I reset my on 55" to factory and then didn't connect to internet so it couldn't update and magically it is working. Kind of sucks I have a smart t.v. I can't use cause Roku doesn't know how to roll back updates when they are bad 

0 Kudos
CarloGino1
Level 7

Well..... use a pin or toothpick to hold the reset button as long as you can. I let my tv load and kept holding the button down until the tv turned off again. Then the whole shebang works and updated perfectly! Try it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
doc8998
Level 7

Know this is late for original poster, but here we are in October, and same issue popped up for me a few weeks back. Initially let it sit, as I had this occur once prior, but rectified itself within a day or so.

What was interesting was- HDR from hardware (my PS4 or XBox One,) simply would not register, but streaming services (Prime, Vudu) worked fine and HDR would kick in as normal.

So, with Dawn of the Dead 4K set arriving in a month, I needed to try anything, no matter how off the wall it was, with a full reset being my last option, not wanting to reinstall channels and hunt thru passwords.

When this first started, I switched the power setting from "standby" to a full power on, but that was, again, a few weeks back, so I don't believe that came into play.

Tonight, I began by doing a reset of all ports to their original factory settings for picture.

Tested it with PS4, didn't fix.

Next, did a power cycle via settings> power> system restart.

Tested again, did not fix.

Lastly, as an off-hand attempt at trying anything, I went through and deleted, one by one, approximately a dozen channels we had downloaded and just never use any longer- largely kids TV stuff my son has outgrown.

And whattaya know?

HDR back up and running (at least on,) the PS4, and have started and restarted an HDR game about 5 times to confirm. So far, so good. (And hopefully, it remains so).

Whether it was the entire process or just that final step of deleting a bunch of bloat from the RokuTV, I dunno. But, if you happen to have excess channels downloaded on your TV, attempt this and see if it works prior to any "more hefty" solutions that require you to remain disconnected from updates or rebuilding your necessary channels and retyping passwords.

No guarantees, but worth a shot after it worked for me.

0 Kudos
barinelg
Level 7

I may have finally figured it out. Note that this is on the 9.3.0 - build 4194-88 version of Roku (most recent as of this posting).

On the PS4, go to Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > Video Output Information. This will let you quickly see if this works for you.

On your remote, press Home. Now go to Settings > TV inputs > Select the input you use for your PS4 > HDMI mode. Change the setting to HDMI 2.0 (it's probably set to Auto).

Press Home and go back to your Playstation's input. It should now say that HDR is supported. From here you can also "Adjust HDR" to tweak it to your TV.

Hope this helps!

KXNG_KEOKE
Level 7

This fixed it for me thank you!

@barinelg wrote:

I may have finally figured it out. Note that this is on the 9.3.0 - build 4194-88 version of Roku (most recent as of this posting).

On the PS4, go to Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > Video Output Information. This will let you quickly see if this works for you.

On your remote, press Home. Now go to Settings > TV inputs > Select the input you use for your PS4 > HDMI mode. Change the setting to HDMI 2.0 (it's probably set to Auto).

Press Home and go back to your Playstation's input. It should now say that HDR is supported. From here you can also "Adjust HDR" to tweak it to your TV.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos