Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imdawat
Level 7

HDMI on old plasma does not work

I have a Pioneer PDP-5070HD Plasma that has HDMI that supports 720p and 1080i.  I connected a Roku Express to the TV via HDMI.  Nothing.  I power cycled the Roku and can see the boot screen with the ROKU trade mark and a spinning circle during boot up.  Once the boot up is complete the screen goes blank.  I realize Roku does not support 1080i but shouldn't the 720p be negotiated since the TV supports it?  And why does the video work during boot?  If the Express does not support this does another Roku device support it?  If I have to can I connect an older Roku via composite Video?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: HDMI on old plasma does not work

The Express + has composite video outputs, so you wouldn't need to get an older box. But for your situation, my guess is the TV is not reporting itself accurately via EDID, and the Roku is simply providing the highest quality resolution it can based on that report. My Stick will sometimes set itself to 1080 on a hotel TV, which is actually a 720p set. Of course, the Roku might be reading the EDID wrong as well. I'm not sitting where I can check, but once your box has booted you can make some remote button presses in the blind to change the resolution. I can't remember the button sequence, but I know it was contained in an older thread about incorrect resolution settings.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
imdawat
Level 7

Thanks, I'll look for the button sequence.  Just a note, I have a Sony dvd player that supports 1080p and 720p.  If I change that dvd player to 720p the old TV has no problem with that so I was assuming it was the Roku with the problem.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

There was a bug in an older version of the firmware that would keep using the Auto setting instead of sticking with a manually set resolution. To my knowledge it was fixed. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos