Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

HDMI from 3910X stopped working after 2 years.

Jump to solution

ROKU receiver has been working perfectly for 2 years with basement TV (Phillips 50ML8105D/17 - HDTV). On Nov 15th 2020, turned ROKU unit and TV on, it displayed the bouncing ROKU letters, then went to black screen. Every time I disconnect power to ROKU unit & reconnect, it does the exact same thing. I brought that unit to our upstairs TV which also uses the 3910X unit, swapped them out and the basement unit works perfectly on the upstairs TV. Brought the upstairs unit to the basement TV and, it displayed the bouncing letters, then went black screen. Conclusion: it's not EITHER of my 3910X units...
Swapped out HDMI cables, no solution. Pressed ROKU unit's reset, no solution. Then connected my DVD player to the HDMI of basement TV, and that works just fine. Conclusion: It's NOT the HDMI cable or, the TV's HDMI...

I've since read that the 3910X may have rcv'd an auto update from ROKU which may be causing an HDMI conflict with my basement TV (which is older than the upstairs TV). So, I purchased an HDMI to ypbpr convertor made by Kingsun Vip of China that advertised it is ROKU compatible, but it still does not solve the issue. I am going to return the convertor to the retailer.

Question 1) Why am I suddenly having this problem with only my basement TV?

Question 2) Is there a current ROKU model that IS compatible with my basement TV, or NOT?

Question 3) If NOT, before I purchase an alternate convertor, is such a convertor supposed to work with the ROKU 3910X that I currently use?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: HDMI from 3910X stopped working after 2 years.

Jump to solution

A suggestion to try.

Attach to the upstairs set where it works.  Set Settings > Display type to 720p, not the "auto" setting.  See if it now works on the downstairs set.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

How are you powering the Rokus?  If you're using the TV's USB port try the supplied power adapter.  If you're already doing that did you also swap power adapters when you swapped units?  If not, you most definitely haven't ruled out the power source.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thx for troubleshooting suggestion, but both units get their power from the supplied USB wall warts.

Are you also suggesting I swap out the power adapters to see if I can duplicate the problem on the 'working' TV?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

Make sure you report this directly to Roku:

Chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help)

or message @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

Yes.  I'd be a little surprised if it has an effect, but it still needs to be ruled out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Now I've swapped out power adapters and still no solution...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link to Danny's email. I'll copy him on this issue right away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

If both Roku players work fine on the upstairs TV, then the only other possibility is the TV itself. If there's multiple HDMI ports in the TV, and it happens on all of them, then something within the TV that processes the HD signal has failed. Again, if both Roku players work on one TV but not the other, the only variable is the TV. 

My personal experience with Philips TVs isn't good, but it's also been many, many years since I've had one. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thx for reply. My Phillips TV has only one HDMI input. I initially suspected something in the TV's circuitry went south but, I DID verify the HDMI input was functional by connecting my DVD player via HDMI to HDMI. And video and audio are working perfectly. Perplexed at this point...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@oreodory wrote:

Thx for reply. My Phillips TV has only one HDMI input. I initially suspected something in the TV's circuitry went south but, I DID verify the HDMI input was functional by connecting my DVD player via HDMI to HDMI. And video and audio are working perfectly. Perplexed at this point...

Well, the DVD player is only outputting 480p, so the circuitry might be handling SD video but not HD. Other than the boot screen, the Roku isn't capable of a resolution below 720p. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos