Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlough
Level 7

HDCP Issues

I keep receiving the HDCP error 020 when trying to stream anything on my Roku.

I have a Sony TV and using a Roku Premiere-3920X

I have tried all the suggestions from Roku support, including unplugging and replugging the connections, replacing the HDMI cord, factory reset of device,, adjusting display settings and nothing seems to work. 

I've only been using this device 5-6 months and the issues seems to have only occurred after the last Roku update on 6/30/21. 

Is there a solution to fix this or do I need to need Roku? 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HDCP Issues on your device?

Hi @dlough,

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Just to confirm, have you already tried the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen? 

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? 

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there! 

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
tannim
Level 8

Re: HDCP Issues

My error appears to have gone away. I do not know if anything was updated or not but the black screen issue and hdcp error(it only appeared once) no longer happens as of 3 to 5 days ago.  Our usage has not changed in any way, no wires were adjusted other than fully turning the roku off for a few days in a row with a extension cord power button.  I asked the other user to stop turning it off to see if it worked.  Once they stopped turning it off again to test, it kept having the problem for a couple days then, 3 to 5 days ago, it no longer had the issue.

0 Kudos
Carole1985
Level 7

Hdmi issue, Hdcp error detected

Ive unplugged the hdmi from the roku and tv for 1 minute. Ive used two different hdmi cords... Ive reset the roku express and i still keep getting the HDCP message. Do i need to keep trying different hdmi cords or am i gonna have to get a new roku???

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Hdmi issue, Hdcp error detected

Hello @Carole1985

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

We would recommend following all the troubleshooting steps available in this Support link: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

If you are still experiencing the issue after attempting the suggestions above, please reply here with the serial number/device ID of the affected Roku player. It can be found at the back or underneath the device itself.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
rkuproblems
Level 8

Re: HDCP Issues on Roku Express 3930X

Yes, having the problem.

Model 3930X-Roku Express

SN: X00400LP8FYD

software: 10.0.0 build 4209-AE

Device ID: S008207P8FYD

Problem occurs intermittently. I don't know how to reproduce it. The posted "fix" only works for a little while, including with brand-new HDMI cable (as instructed). Please send a new Roku device.

0 Kudos
MikeC2
Level 7

HDCP error on Roku Express

Condition started after a software update about 2 weeks ago; it is a pain to have to restart the system every time before I can watch a program.

device model - 3930RW - Roku Express

device ID - S009299DNPMY

software OS/Version 10.0.0 Build 4209-AE

Thanks,

Mike Cole

0 Kudos
Lastofthewilds
Level 7

Hello Team,

Same problem here. I followed the support instructions, turn it off, disconnected, switched HDMI port, switched HDMI cable and I am still not able to see any content (tried Netflix and HBO Max) I get the hdcp error. A 3rd Gen Chromecast runs in the same TV and using the same cable.

Here's my device info: 

Model: 3930X - Roku Express
Serial number: X00400VGT19Y

Software version: 10.0.0 compilation 4209-AE
Device ID: S008305GT19Y

0 Kudos
Lastofthewilds
Level 7

Keeping thread alive, Do I need to open a support case? By previous message seems to be a SW version problem, how often does Roku release patches?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Lastofthewilds

I apologize for the delay in response.

Please be advised that this issue has been escalated and is still under investigation. I have forwarded the details you provided since it might help our team to resolve this problem. We'll post an update in this thread if we got any updates, therefore, you don't need to open a support case. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator