Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tannim
Level 8

Re: HDCP errors

I have it plugged into an extension cord with the included usb charger.  I have no reason to suspect there's anything wrong with the extension cord power currently.   For convenience, I have tried unplugging both it and the tv for a minute yesterday night.  I am not sure if it worked today or not so cannot say if that solved it or not yet.  I will know tomorrow I suspect.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@tannim

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify what you mean when you stated "HDCP stops working"? 

Have you already tried the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
tannim
Level 8

By "stops working" I mean it did show the black HDCP error detected page once, but usually it doesn't.  It usually just shows no picture but does have sound.  We are using Sling and Discovery+ with it, we have no tried netflix or other services that use it.  I have not tried unplugging both ends of the HDMI cable as yet, I guess I will attempt that one tonight.  I have unplugged them both from power sources yesterday, but the problem persisted today.

Unplugging the roku and plugging it back in instantly solves the issue for the day.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@tannim

Thanks for the follow up.

In addition to the steps provided, have you tried switching out the HDMI cable used to connect your Roku device to see if that helps the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Bosco21
Level 8

I have tried several different cables including the one that was working without problems before your May 12 update.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Bosco21

Thanks for the follow up.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Bosco21
Level 8

i get this from tracker id:

model 3930x roku express

serial number x00400r3dnx5 (s0083093dnx5)

software ver 10.0.0 build 4195-ae

timestamp 2021-06-21t22:47:37z

issue id x5-247-607

problem occurs when it begins to play a movie but does not interfere with navigating a site. it affects all sites. you should read this entire thread to get full description of the problem

0 Kudos
tannim
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R 

Switching the cable was the first thing we tried.  We went from the included roku cable to the cable we have left over from comcast with the same results.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Bosco21

Thanks for the follow up and providing us with the information that we have requested.

I have passed along your information for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Bosco21
Level 8

My Roku Express received a new software update yesterday. It did not affect the HDCP problem though. It would be nice if there were a message attached to an update or a web page where one could find out what issues or features an update was intended to address...or is there?

0 Kudos