Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike_s
Level 10

HDCP errors must stop!

I "upgraded" from a Premiere+ (maybe 3 years old?) to a 2020 Ultra , because - DolbyVision.. Absolutely nothing else was changed, just a plug and play swap. Premiere+ worked just fine. Ultra gets HDCP 020 errors several times per hour (does recover after about 10 seconds of a notification screen). Happens even when the content is paused, and not DolbyVision. Happens on any "channel." Extremely annoying, and definitely customer hostile - pirates know how to get around copy protection, but I, paying for content, have to deal with this when simply watching.

Roku, get your sh*t together and fix it. I'm happy with the UI, which is why I stuck with you, but I'll soon be exploring alternatives, because your top-of-the-line box simply isn't ready for Prime Time.

17 REPLIES 17\
mike_s
Level 10

Re: HDCP errors must stop!

Update. Watching Peacock today, still getting HDCP error screens (a few times/hour), but also getting frequent (just a few minutes apart) black screens which last 3-4 seconds.

I received a marketing survey from Roku about a week ago, which implied they'd pay attention to their issue which is interfering with using the Ultra. Absolutely nothing since.

0 Kudos
rbalzum
Level 8

Same issue here.

0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 10

Newly noticed: it even happens on the Roku screen saver (the Roku logos which drop down when pausing content for a while). Why TF is that even subject to content protection? Roku, this is customer hostile.

0 Kudos
rbalzum
Level 8

Problem fixed.

Returned the Ultra 2020 to Target.  Bought an Apple TV 4K.

HDCP ERRORS FIXED.

Still have DolbyVision and Atmos.....and no more drop outs and a stabler hardware platform.

Roku......

you seem to have gone down the path that others have with letting a 3rd party develop your firmware, with the same results.  Unstable/unusable hardware.

The last company I encountered doing this also lost my business when they couldn’t or wouldn’t fix the issue.....

It appears that you have also lost my business......just like Netgear did.

0 Kudos
gbloyer
Level 7

I had the occasional HDCP error on the new Roku Ultra, very frustrating. I have an LG OLED 4K TV, Yamaha AVR, and brand new AudioQuest HDMI cables (18Gbps), all support HDCP 2.2. Called Roku support and worked with them two different times, having to go through all the troubleshooting steps. Nothing we did fixed the issue. I keep seeing this problem all over the Internet so it seems to be a hardware issue with the Roku itself, IMO. Especially since my 4K Blu-Ray never has an issue. I gave up and returned and got a 4K Apple TV in January. It's played 4K content beautifully since, no issue.

L2NORM
Level 7

I am using a 1 meter Zeskit Maya Ultra High Speed Certified HDMI cable and still get the stupid HDCP error several times an hour. Roku has NOT done anything to fix the problem. Never get this error on my Apple TV4K so I think I am just going to throw away the Roku streamer on my second TV and replace it with another Apple.

rbalzum
Level 8

Same cables that I am using.  I am going to do the same in our RV when I take it out of storage....scrap the Roku and put in an Apple.

kind of hoping that Apple has a new box announcement this month.

0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 10

Is Roku even trying to fix this? Absolutely nothing has changed, and their "troubleshooting" tips are useless. AFAICT, they haven't even acknowledged the issue. And there definitely is one.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mike_s 

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting steps regarding HDCP errors, visit our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos