Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bebe5
Level 7

HDCP error

I have 4 insignia tv's hooked to 4 rokus express. All worked fine on all 4 untill the other day. Now if I am watching something on roku and switch input to tv then back to hdm1 there is no picture but there is audio. This has happened on all 4. They are all different sizes, years and models. What could have caused this. I have reset to factory setting on the tv and roku. Have done the unplugging routine--nothing works. Any one have any idea what is wrong.

Update--I dug a several years old roku LT out of closet (purple one) hooked it up and everything works fine with the old roku LT on all of my tvs.
0 Kudos
29 Replies
berting
Level 9

Re: HDCP error

Something recently changed in the firmware that has adversely affected HDCP on some televisions. I have a Roku Ultra, and I lose video (and see an HDCP error) whenever I turn my TV off and then back on again. Hopefully there will be enough of us seeing this problem to motivate Roku to fix the HDCP firmware they broke...
   --- JohnB
Basil
Level 10

On the other hand, mine's not broken on my devices that have 8.1

So, it may be difficult to troubleshoot since the issues isn't affecting a large percentage of users. Note I said "percentage" and not "number." If, for example, Roku has 10-million users and 10-thousand are affected, that's 1/10 of 1% affected. Still a large number, but a small percentage. And hard to troubleshoot.

That's not to say "sit back and accept it" but to help understand that if a small percentage (even though a large number) are affected, it may take a lot of time to resolve if the cause isn't known.

That said, if more people would provide info regarding the setups, such as the TV model and device model number, that would help others with access to the same setups to determine what might be happening.

My Ultra (4660) has no problem with my TV, unlike JohnB. So, something else is at play. HDMI cable? TV? Difference software builds? Don't know. Something is wrong and impacting some users. But not all users. That's what makes fixes hard. Not just this one, but all fixes.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
berting
Level 9

Hi again Basil --- I do embedded software development / debug as my day-job and everything you've said is absolutely correct. The biggest problem is almost always reproducing a customer issue in captivity so you can figure out what's happening. If it's only happening on a small percentage of user's hardware, that makes prioritizing time for a fix that much more difficult.

The most likely suspect in my case (IMHO) is a specific incompatibility with my LG 65F8500 television, which is an older model so I'm not sure anyone cares about its peculiarities.

The second most likely suspect (IMHO again) is some obscure hardware difference between my Ultra model 4640X and your Ultra model 4660. I find this possiblilty less likely unless they've changed some hardware that's specific to the HDCP negotiation.

My suspicion is that when my TV is turned "off" (and goes into its standby state) that something illegal is happening on the HDCP interface, and that the new firmware is checking the HDCP negotiation continuously (possibly in a background thread). So when I switch the TV "off" it thinks that I'm doing something dastardly, like trying to pirate the signal.

I think that the older version of firmware stopped checking HDCP when the Roku was at any non-video-playback display screen, like the Home screen. This forced them to spool-up the HDCP negotiation whenever it was time to playback a video, and spool it down when playback was complete. They probably figured that this was unnecessary complexity and moved it into a continuously running background task. The reason that I think this is the case is that when using the old (working) firmware, if I ever turned "off" the TV while a video was playing, the HDCP error was displayed when I turned the TV back "on". I could clear the error by pressing the Home button on the remote and then go back and resume my playback. A minor quirk that was very easy to avoid...

But this is all pure conjecture... Hopefully someone is looking into the problem, because my Ultra is about as useful to me as a brick right now.
   --- John
0 Kudos
wes-txt
Level 7

I have a Roku Premiers that is connected to an LG 55UF6450 tv. It started getting the HDCP error right after the last update to build 4137. I had a spare Premier that wasn't being used. When I connected it, it immediately updated and gave the same error when I tried to play a video. I've contacted Roku support, but they don't have answers. They said they would get back with me. That was 4 days ago. 

Same issue here: Upon powering on the TV and attempting to stream, I initially receive the HDCP 2.2 error message. If I reseat the HDMI cable, with both devices still powered on, everything works fine for that session. If I power off the TV for any period of time whatsoever, the process repeats. This is also happening to my mother, who happens to have an identical set up: Roku Ultra, LG 49UF6430. It began happening to her in early-mid June (ish) 2018, and to me about two weeks later. Both Rokus are running the same, most recent firmware, as of the date of this post (I don't have the firmware version handy, but attempted to update both, and both were running the current versions as of 07/06/2018).

Edit: Forgot to mention that the issue is also repeatable if I go to settings/display and manually select 4K @ 60 Hz. The test passes fine for the resolution/freq., but seems to hang on the HDCP test. If I have reseated the cable (after powering on), then run the test, then it passes fine.
0 Kudos
swampfoxnc
Level 7

I have the same tv and I believe the same roku. What I have been doing is each day I get the same message, I go and switch to automatic and for whatever reason it reads only 1.4 never 2.2. Then I switch it to 1080 and it is good for a few hours of constant viewing. I then ordered a monster cable from Fry's that was capable of UHD but that still didn't solve the problem. I did open the hdmi port like the manual said to do in the setting for the tv, but still no luck. All I still get is 1.4. Tell me if you get any good results.

Wes
[personal information removed]
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"swampfoxnc" wrote:
I have the same tv and I believe the same roku. What I have been doing is each day I get the same message, I go and switch to automatic and for whatever reason it reads only 1.4 never 2.2. Then I switch it to 1080 and it is good for a few hours of constant viewing. I then ordered a monster cable from Fry's that was capable of UHD but that still didn't solve the problem. I did open the hdmi port like the manual said to do in the setting for the tv, but still no luck. All I still get is 1.4. Tell me if you get any good results.

Wes
[personal information removed]

Which TV? There is more than one mentioned in this thread. Many UHD TVs have a setting to enable 4K 60 Hz. My Samsung calls it UHD Color, and it has to be enabled on each HDMI port separately. You don't mention if you are passing your signal through an AVR or if the Roku is connected directly to the TV. It makes a difference for troubleshooting. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
swampfoxnc
Level 7

Hi Dan
My tv is LG 55UF6450. The Roku premiere is plugged directly into hdmi 1 which is the port the manual says to plug into. I learned that after reading because I had tried all three until I read the manual. I am doing a process of elimination. I bought a monster cable which is capable of uhd but I still only get 1.4, not the minimum 2.2. The tv is capable of 4.4. So its either the roku box, the wifi, or the port. I talked to best buy the geek squad and they suggested first trying the wifi first followed by another roku before the tv. Well first they suggested turning off and on the roku which I have done numerous times. Any and all suggestions will greatly be appreciated. I can easily have overlooked the obvious.

Wes
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 8

The 8.1 update certainly seems to have changed the way the Roku OS monitors HDMI connections (HDCP, HDMI-CEC, etc.).  Here are a couple reddit threads where a Roku rep says they have an update coming out to address HDCP issues (not sure if they're only referring to certain Roku devices):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/8z4r72/roku_ultra_and_hdcp_22/

In my case, I experience the sleep (screensaver standby) bug where my Roku Ultra 4640X won't stay asleep when connected to my AVR and my TV is turned off.  However, it will sleep when connected directly to my TV (but when I turn my TV on or off, it wakes the Roku, which it didn't do prior to the 8.1 update).
0 Kudos