Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HDCP error

Suddenly after weeks of having no problems I too am receiving this error code. The screen shows numerous steps on how to rectify this. However, I found that by SIMPLY REMOVING THEN REINSERTING THE STICK AND IN THE SAME HDMI INPUT THE PROBLEMS GOES AWAY. Go figure. This is on a late model LG big screen tv. 

We have five Roku sticks in the house, all on separate TV’s. The three downstairs rarely get used but the two on the main floor living area get used constantly. The funny thing is on the Sony set in the bedroom which has a Roku on it also I have yet to encounter the HDCP error...yet. Doesn’t mean I won’t, but when this first happened I went in and tried streaming the same exact movie with the same exact streaming service and it did NOT happen, so that told me it was a defective stick. 

Couldn’t return it naturally as it was out of warranty, so bought another at Best Buy with 4 year plan.  Now just last night the same thing popped up again with the new stick. 

I’m placing the problem with Roku. Something is afoul here. I shouldn’t have to keep jumping up and down to get the stupid thing to reset itself in order to work. I think it’s a software issue which has become very unstable.

Why did the first stick work for several months then suddenly decide it won’t anymore? Now the new stick does the exact same thing. Settings show all are on auto updates too but of course I checked and it came back that no new updates were required. Well, somethings wrong! Argh. I’d return them all and get an Amazon Fire if they weren’t out of warranty. Might even still do it if the issue isn’t resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I was getting this error until my unit indicated it had an update on 7/27.  Not sure on the build, but it is still reporting as version 8.1.0.   I had reported the bug to Roku about a month ago.   I also have an LG TV.  Looks like this was a common occurrence with LG TVs.   HDCP is a PITA.  

I was getting around the error by just restarting my box everytime I turned the TV on.  It's my primary box now that I'm on cable through DTVN.  Though I also have an Apple TV 4K on my theater setup.  I like the Apple TV due to the ease of use in the Apple ecosystem but I don't like the pricetag on the Apple TV 4K boxes.   Roku is an excellent value.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a beautiful, LG 4K / HDR TV that I bought last December.  I have been a Roku customer for years, and thought a Roku Ultra would be ideal for this set.  It worked very well for quite a while.  Then, seemingly out of nowhere I started having random purple screen / HDCP errors.  I eventually replaced a perfectly good HDMI cable (it worked fine for months!) as suggested by the webpage referenced on the screen, but doing so didn't really make a difference.  Fast-forward to just a couple of months ago - it got to the point that I needed to power cycle the Ultra a couple times to actually get to view it.  Fed up, I finally called Roku Support. I followed the CSR's instructions (which consisted of everything I had already done not moments before my call and every other time I wanted to watch it) as he read them off his script. The picture came back - as it would have regardless - and he told me I could call back if the problem returned.  Which of course happened later that night. They took my TV model, Roku firmware level, etc. but balked at taking my TV's firmware level when I offered it.  That, didn't give me any "warm fuzzies".. I hoped I'd be contacted for it by others at Roku later - but that didn't happen either. It's been over a month, and this Ultra is has now been reduced to being a paperweight. I looked at it last night and did an update, but it was already on the latest and greatest (8.1) so there was no need to go any further.  So, what is going on? Does anyone know? Thanks! 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have this same issue with my Roku Ultra. I have to restart my Roku every time I turn on my TV in order to get HDCP 2.2 compliance. I have a brand new Philips 55PFL5703. According to the forums here and RedIt, an update went out in July...but this did not fix my issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I never got the black screen, text HDCP error before now.

I have:
Roku Ultra
4660 X
8.1.0 build 4145-46

Vizio 60 E601i-ae3
Ver 2.0.45

Had the set and the Roku for over a year, no issues. I added Fox News, that is what channel gave me the error.

David
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

i have a 2017 vizio m55 purchased 2 months ago and a roku stick purchased 2 weeks ago. when i try to watch any channel i get a hdcp error 20. i've tried everything suggested by roku and nothing has worked. roku recognizes the tv as 1080p-1.4 hdcp. but the tv doesn't recognize roku. the stick gets really hot when plugged in the vizio, also, the stick works in our old sony. 
what can i do?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I own a Samsung UN55ES8000 tv (2012 model / 1080p) with a Roku Ultra. I suspect this is a Roku firmware problem. The issue mainly exists in the CBS All Access channel so I blamed it for awhile but now I think this is totally Roku's bug. I've tried everything to fix it from factory resetting the Roku to changing out the hdmi cable but nothing has fixed the problem. Is there anyway to go backwards on the firmware then stop it from updating? I purchased this Roku Ultra at the end of 2017 and got my subscription for CBS All Access in the first month of 2018 and this was not an issue until sometime in the summer of 2018. I also have two other TV's with the same model of Roku Ultra but I don't use them very often but I have seen the hdcp error occasionally on one of them. It shows up when I turn the TV back on while the Roku was still running in the background. This is a very annoying problem and Roku needs to fix it.
0 Kudos

I'm currently running a 3600X stick with 8.1 build 4145-24 and have recently started getting hdcp errors on everything I try to do on the Roku.
This Roku stick has worked flawlessly for about a year then out of the blue it refuses to play anything.

I have done the "corrective" action about 100 times, I've factory reset the stick, factory reset my TV...

I doubt the HDMI ports are bad, as I can get to the home screen of Roku, just can't stream anything.

This is absolutely infuriating.
If roku support doesn't fix this soon, and get away from their script, Amazon will get my money as I will go buy a firestick.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a Sony X900E with a Sony DNR-1080 Receiver connected to it. All the receiver inputs are capable of moving HDCP 2.2 signals. Two of the TV's HDMI inputs can be "Enhanced", capable of displaying 4k HDR HDCP 2.2 images.

I recently bought a 2018 version of the Premiere. If I try to set it up using one of my AVR's "Enhanced" inputs, the Roku indicates I do not have a HDCP 2.2 input and reverts to 1080p. If I force thee Roku into 4K HDR mode, the screen turns black every few seconds and is unusable.

If I plug the Roku directly into the TV's "Enhanced" HDMI input it immediately shows that I do in fact have 4K HDR at 60 HZ.

I too have jumped through the troubleshooting hoops suggested by Roku to no avail. My firmware is 8.11 -  build 6021-91.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

"cjbx7" wrote:
I have a Sony X900E with a Sony DNR-1080 Receiver connected to it. All the receiver inputs are capable of moving HDCP 2.2 signals. Two of the TV's HDMI inputs can be "Enhanced", capable of displaying 4k HDR HDCP 2.2 images.

I recently bought a 2018 version of the Premiere. If I try to set it up using one of my AVR's "Enhanced" inputs, the Roku indicates I do not have a HDCP 2.2 input and reverts to 1080p. If I force thee Roku into 4K HDR mode, the screen turns black every few seconds and is unusable.

If I plug the Roku directly into the TV's "Enhanced" HDMI input it immediately shows that I do in fact have 4K HDR at 60 HZ.

I too have jumped through the troubleshooting hoops suggested by Roku to no avail. My firmware is 8.11 -  build 6021-91.

There has to be a setting somewhere in the Sony that isn't correct if the Roku works fine connected directly to the TV. I have never owned a Sony AVR, so have no idea what the menu structure looks like. With my Yamaha, I had to enter an advanced menu only available at power-on and change a setting for 4K/60 to work wtih my Ultra.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos