Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jh1
Level 7

HDCP error with splitter

New member, first post. Appreciate any help.

I can go into details as to why, but I have, or should say had, my ROKU stick feeding the input of a powered hdmi splitter, with the 2 outputs feeding 2 TVs. All worked well for months and then 1 day, stopped working and got HDCP error. 

Did some research and found suggestions of faulty/too long cables, etc. Well over the last month or so, I've tried different ROKUs, replaced cables, and even replaced the splitter. All at a cost of time and money. Still no luck and not working. Didn't understand, why did it work, and now it doesn't.

More research told me it was a software update by ROKU and not a problem on my end. So, my question is, how can I get back, or work around, to where I was.

It's really frustrating when you make money and time investments in a system, and then without you knowing it, a change is made, out of you control, that changes everything and make you investment a waste.

Thanks for any input that leads to a resolution.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Re: HDCP error with splitter

Using a splitter was never guaranteed to work and was never officially supported; it was a risk you were willing to take. You were lucky it worked in the first place, not "unlucky" that it no longer works.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Jh1
Level 7

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
Using a splitter was never guaranteed to work and was never officially supported; it was a risk you were willing to take. You were lucky it worked in the first place, not "unlucky" that it no longer works.

I will buy this to a point, sure I took a risk in the beginning, (don't forget that's how things get discovered), and it worked flawlessly every time, until something other than on my end changed, if it hadn't worked in the beginning or if I had made a change on my end, then so be it.
But, if ROKU made a change that took away a feature that I had, think about it, if something is taken from you that came to rely on.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

You "relied upon" a risk that was not supported or endorsed. You were aware (or should have been aware) that something not officially supported was at risk to stop working at any time, without warning.
I'm not without sympathy, as situations in the past have happened to me as well. The difference is I accept it and either adapt or move on.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Matt9876
Level 7

It just cost me a new UHD 4K TV to fix my HDCP 1.2 purple screen problem, what you need is a splitter that is HDCP 2.2 compliant, problem is I don't think they make one Smiley Sad
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV
0 Kudos
Jh1
Level 7

"Matt9876" wrote:
It just cost me a new UHD 4K TV to fix my HDCP 1.2 purple screen problem, what you need is a splitter that is HDCP 2.2 compliant, problem is I don't think they make one Smiley Sad

So, it that the solution, a 2.2 splitter? I have searched and they're out there.

This is the splitter I was using. It worked great, just like I was hoping when I put things together. But, it all stopped out of the blue, ROKU update ??

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Support ... i+splitter
0 Kudos
avslogic
Level 7

Don`t expect that a 9,99$ splitter will get you away with HDCP. I had tried, vanco, wyrestorm with HDCP2 and is not working. Roku update ( seems to me ) had added a patch to avoid multiple displays. What I can tell in my experience is that I had implemented 3 roku`s with a 8 X 8 matrix w/o problem. I`m not sure why this trap for two monitors. 
0 Kudos