Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pb124
Channel Surfer

Re: HDCP error code 020 on Roku Ultra

I posted weeks and weeks ago about this and like everyone else I'm frustrated and disappointed that we're three months on and no progress on this... please fix this Roku.  I'm tempted to just get a refund on mine but it's such a shame as it used to work well.  As has been stated many times - it's only been happening since the May update. 

In the meantime I did find another post in a different thread by @makaiguy  I don't completely understand all that he says (he's obviously much cleverer than me!!) but I tried what he suggested about simply switching ports (just through the remote...not physically unplugging/replugging anything....so for example from HDMI1... to HDMI2 and then back again) and it stops the error message from showing up - so thank you @makaiguy Smiley Happy 

I haven't got a plug so I'm unable to try his other suggestion. But the input switching definitely works for me... though still we shouldn't have to do this to make a newish Roku work! 

Anyway, I'll paste his post in here (hope that's okay) in case it's helpful to anyone and I think obviously he's onto something... so perhaps this info could be passed to whoever is looking into this??? maybe...  @RokuKariza-D  Please!! 

Thank you. 

makaiguy

Community Streaming Expert

‎11-12-2020 07:45 AM

Re: HDCP error code 020

A blind guess on my part -- You are powering your Roku via a USB port on your television, and your set is one that only supplies power when the tv is turned on.  If so, read on:

When you turn on the set both tv and Roku have to boot up at the same time, and one or the other will finish its bootup first.  On initial connection the two units exchange information over the HDMI port in what is called a "handshake" -- if one side initiates the handshake before the other side has fully completed its bootup, there might be an incomplete handshake resulting in the HDCP error.  When you then power the Roku down and back up, it boots up again which forces a new HDMI handshake which now fully completes.

You might be able to recover from this more easily by merely switching to a different input on the tv and back, thus forcing a new handshake without having to reboot the Roku..

To eliminate the problem in the first place, power your Roku device via the power adapter that came with it, plugged into your house power.   If you no longer have the adapter that came with your device, you may have another one handy that can be used -- just make sure the tiny print on it confirms it has a 5 volt dc output of at least 1 amp.

Powering via house power also allows the Roku to do its daily update check during off hours and keeps your Roku and channel software up to date.  If you do this, its a good idea to be sure you return the Roku to its home page before turning the tv off so that it is not continuing to download unwatched data.  When it's not actually streaming anything, the power used by the Roku is miniscule.

Doug

Roku Community Streaming Expert  I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.

Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Pb124 wrote:

In the meantime I did find another post in a different thread by @makaiguy

I tried what he suggested about simply switching ports ,,, and it stops the error message from showing up - so thank you @makaiguy Smiley Happy 

I'm glad you found the suggestion useful.

I haven't got a plug so I'm unable to try his other suggestion.

Getting your Roku plugged into house power via a USB adapter instead of the USB port on your TV should fix the problem completely.  Switching HDMI inputs on the TV is just a work around so you don't have to keep unplugging the Roku and plugging it back in to force a restart. 

The Roku was shipped with an appropriate USB adapter.  If you've lost it and don't have a suitable USB power adapter laying around from some other device, you can find one at almost any local store (drug store, Wal-mart, Target, utility section of a grocery store, etc.) for just a few dollars.  It may be called a "charger" instead of an "adapter" -- just be sure it is rated for at least 1 amp output. 

And allow me to reiterate.  When powering directly via house power, "its a good idea to be sure you return the Roku to its home page before turning the tv off so that it is not continuing to download unwatched data."

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Lynda63
Channel Surfer

Re: HDCP error on Roku Express 3930

hello

been having hdcp issues for a few months

everything was fine before the last updates wich is about 3 months ago...

i always have to unplug and replug the hdmi cable to use apps

i bought a new hdmi hdcp 2.2 cable but still get the same hdcp error message

model-3930ca-roku express

i.d.-s0143068trtp

os-10.0.0-edition 4209-ae

waiting for reply thank you

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @Lynda63

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We would recommend trying the other suggestions in this Support article and see if that will resolve the issue you're experiencing: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Please keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Pb124
Channel Surfer

Hello again @makaiguy , 
Firstly sorry for my super slow reply!  

Secondly....I found a plug - the Roku Express I have wasn't supplied with one but my previous Roku was so I used that and it worked!! No error messages since so this has solved the problem for me, exactly as you said it would. 

To @RokuKariza-D  - please note that plugging my Roku into the house power has as discussed above solved the error message for me.  It didn't matter how many times I tried the suggestions Roku staff keep making...ie. to unplug etc etc,...it didn't work.  But attaching the Roku to the house power did/has.

Maybe Roku can supply all frustrated Roku Express owners with a plug/adapter/charger?!! 

0 Kudos
Shaun_Fielding
Channel Surfer

Is that because as it's plugged in it never turns off and as it never boots up every time turn on the TV it will never hdcp handshake and this never error?

0 Kudos
Pb124
Channel Surfer

I think so? But I'm no expert!   @makaiguy explains what he thinks is happening in the post I copied into this thread about 3 weeks ago and he says something about the handshake! 
Hope it helps you. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Shaun_Fielding wrote:

Is that because as it's plugged in it never turns off and as it never boots up every time turn on the TV it will never hdcp handshake and this never error?

It will still have to perform a HDMI/HDCP handshake when the tv turns on, but now the Roku will already be on and ready to respond to the TV's handshake request.   When Roku is powered via the TV's USB it's a horserace as to whether the Roku powers in time to respond. 

And just to complicate matters further, this isn't even a universal solution as the USB connections on some TVs shut down when the TV does, and some are powered as long as the TV is plugged in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Lynda63
Channel Surfer

hello 

i have tried everything that was 

written to try and still get the hdcp error message

i just saw someone in here saying to reset it,that i didn't try

or else what can be done,if resetting doesn't work ...

thank you

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Lynda63

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend  checking out the information provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos