Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SusieW888
Level 7

HDCP error code 020

So I set up my new Roku Express and it worked.  The next day I got the HDCP error code 020 and did what was recommended with resetting and unplugging.  So it fixed the problem.  But the annoying part is I have to do this every time I restart my TV.  The other odd thing is the audio is fine, but the video is not.  I searched other customers issues and haven't seen any issues like this.  If it's the cable, why would unplugging it and resetting fix it each time.  Same with the TV.  Ready to return this product.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: HDCP error code 020

A blind guess on my part -- You are powering your Roku via a USB port on your television, and your set is one that only supplies power when the tv is turned on.  If so, read on:

When you turn on the set both tv and Roku have to boot up at the same time, and one or the other will finish its bootup first.  On initial connection the two units exchange information over the HDMI port in what is called a "handshake" -- if one side initiates the handshake before the other side has fully completed its bootup, there might be an incomplete handshake resulting in the HDCP error.  When you then power the Roku down and back up, it boots up again which forces a new HDMI handshake which now fully completes.

You might be able to recover from this more easily by merely switching to a different input on the tv and back, thus forcing a new handshake without having to reboot the Roku..

To eliminate the problem in the first place, power your Roku device via the power adapter that came with it, plugged into your house power.   If you no longer have the adapter that came with your device, you may have another one handy that can be used -- just make sure the tiny print on it confirms it has a 5 volt dc output of at least 1 amp.

Powering via house power also allows the Roku to do its daily update check during off hours and keeps your Roku and channel software up to date.  If you do this, its a good idea to be sure you return the Roku to its home page before turning the tv off so that it is not continuing to download unwatched data.  When it's not actually streaming anything, the power used by the Roku is miniscule.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
SusieW888
Level 7

There is a lot in what you are saying that does make sense.  However, we did try the original power cord and still did have a problem.  We did power it both ways and still had that error. We are now trying the HDMI3 port to see if that works.  If that doesn't work we may put the Roku in HDMI1 and cable in 2.  Do you think that would be better?

0 Kudos
SusieW888
Level 7

So unfortunately none of the HDMI ports worked.  The only solution is to start the TV unplug the Roku and replug it in.  The other mystery is our previous standard Roku never had this problem.  Very frustrating that Roku doesn't have technical support to call.

0 Kudos
SusieW888
Level 7

Finally got it fixed.  Just switched from Auto detect to 1080 resolution.  

0 Kudos
Rgs2
Level 7

What device did you you switch from auto detect to 1080 resolution?

0 Kudos