Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nppsu
Level 7

HDCP error. Did the steps but still won’t work. What next?

What do I do when HDCP error appears even after steps they say to take on the screen?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MileHigh96
Level 8

Re: HDCP error. Did the steps but still won’t work. What next?

I get this error from time-to-time and I have no idea why.  At first I thought maybe it was the HDMI cords that I was using (cheap Amazon Basics cables), so I replaced those with something a bit better.  Worked for awhile then the error came back.  The only way I can clear the error is to do one of the following things: (A) unplug my TV, then plug it back in.  Sometimes that clears the problem. (B) unplug the HDMI cord from the back of the TV and then plug it back in. (C) reboot the Roku.

Usually one of those three steps, or a combination thereof solves my problem with the error.  Hope this helps.

“The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and goodwill, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!”
0 Kudos
Amphetamine
Level 7

This has been an issue since 2017. Check out the Amazon reviews. I even tried and failed, having to remain on Roku 3. In fact, the only reason why I use Roku is for its seamless interface when using USB movie playback.

I believe something is truly wrong with the Roku Ultra hardware and instead of a major hardware revision, which would be way too expensive for them to change manufacturers for the chips in the unit, firmware updates are pushed instead. PS4 works, Xbox one works, all other 4K units work, yet the Ultra is the only unit having 4K HDCP issues? It's a Roku problem, trust me.

It's one thing when a handful of people are having HDCP issues, but when you have countless negative reviews on all platforms, people changing HDMI cables...... TVs... LOL..... Come on now. Changing HDMI cables? I've had mine for years and they work fine with every single hardware upgrade. It's a ROKU problem.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Irishs041
Level 7

I've tried everything. I have a Roku Ultra, I've changed cables and done everything else on all of these forms and it still says my devices do not support HDCP 2.2. I'm done with Roku since they refuse to correct this problem!

0 Kudos
Osound
Level 7

@Amphetamine wrote:

This has been an issue since 2017. Check out the Amazon reviews. I even tried and failed, having to remain on Roku 3. In fact, the only reason why I use Roku is for its seamless interface when using USB movie playback.

I believe something is truly wrong with the Roku Ultra hardware and instead of a major hardware revision, which would be way too expensive for them to change manufacturers for the chips in the unit, firmware updates are pushed instead. PS4 works, Xbox one works, all other 4K units work, yet the Ultra is the only unit having 4K HDCP issues? It's a Roku problem, trust me.

It's one thing when a handful of people are having HDCP issues, but when you have countless negative reviews on all platforms, people changing HDMI cables...... TVs... LOL..... Come on now. Changing HDMI cables? I've had mine for years and they work fine with every single hardware upgrade. It's a ROKU problem.

I believe I have tried the suggestions above to no avail. This includes disconnecting everything in the system including monitor/tv, Roku etc. I waited 40 seconds. Reconnected. No luck. Disconnected system again for 20 minutes. Again no luck. Turned off power bar feeding all devices and went to bed. After a night off it just worked.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

There are 2 workarounds/solutions that work most of the time to fix/address this:

1) Disable "Auto-adjust display refresh rate": Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced Display settings/Auto-adjust display refresh rate=Disabled

2) Manually configure display: Settings/Display type=Select something other than "Auto-Detect"

Usually one or the other solves the issue, though rarely both are required.

0 Kudos
Frustr8dRkuUsr
Level 9

I had this error before and NONE of the suggested things ever worked.  But believe it or not the TV was the culprit.  Brand new TV and it had something inside that made  HDCP fail.  You can read the discussion.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/HDCP-ERROR/m-p/542194#M11180

0 Kudos