Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angelus80
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix HDCP Error Detected 020

Jump to solution

When I do the reset it works fine, which leads me to believe that it's a Roku bug and not a problem with the HDMI cables, at least for me. When I get around to it I still plan to unplug all the cables in the order it says to and see if there's any dust or anything, but this is a serious issue that Roku needs to take a good look at. 

0 Kudos
Gerardo14b
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

For a couple of days my Roku presents an audio and video noise when connecting an external hard drive to watch mp4 videos, sometimes it loses connection to the TV and shows the HDCP error screen, after disconnecting the power to restart it it decreases the noise until it manages to connect to the TV, my device is a Roku 2, connected by HDMI, I have already changed the cable and the failure continues.

0 Kudos
mike_s
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I even get errors on NASA TV which is definitely not copy protected, so Roku is causing problems by putting it across a copy protected link.

Gerardo14b
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The strangest thing is that the failure begins when opening Roku Media Player, it does not happen with youtube, but once the audio noise (like scracht) and video failures begin, the device presents the recurring failure with any channel, after restarting several times it removes and works perfectly until I stop using it for several hours, once I try to use it again, the fault occurs again.

0 Kudos
NoBoatAnchors
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just curious.. With those seeing these issues are your TV's 1080p (Non-4k)? Possibly using hdcp 1.4 (you can check this in the display settings on your roku)?

0 Kudos
angelus80
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah, my TV is a 1080, non-4k. So what do I need to look for in the settings? Btw, when I restart my Roku, it works again. Which makes me think it's the Roku and not the cables. 

0 Kudos
NoBoatAnchors
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@angelus80 wrote:

Yeah, my TV is a 1080, non-4k. So what do I need to look for in the settings? Btw, when I restart my Roku, it works again. Which makes me think it's the Roku and not the cables. 

FWIW I'd check the hdcp version roku identifies your TV as having. Mine are 1.4. YMMV but worth a check. Should be in the roku display settings if you have it set to auto-detect your TV's display. I have a sneaking suspicion that older versions of hdcp are being phased out support-wise. Whether it's roku (hardware/firmware) or the streaming content providers, is open for speculation. It's more than likely not your cable but you can easily test this by swapping with a new cable or one you know works. I've just went through 3 roku's that had similar issues, 2 which were brand new (4800X's) and fresh off the shelves, using their supplied cables, newer high-bandwidth 4k rated cables and older cables, as well as other TV sets in the house (all 1080p) and the issues I'm seeing persist (green pixelation/artifacting and the occasional hdcp error). Only thing I haven't done, yet, is try it on a newer 4k set, which I will be doing on a buddy's to further test. One has to wonder why these issues have been commonplace in these forums for the last 2 years and the most popular solution is turning it off, then on again lol.

Jump to solution

I am having the HDCP Error message and I've tried the steps and the 10 minute wait several times. I've had this since Dec of 2020 with no issues until today February 15, 2021. We've changed cords tried different tvs all of it. Nothing is working.  Roku Premiere (4620 series) Please help. @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@droppingbulls77

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
oonsark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuDanny-R,

Can Roku kindly explain why I now receive the DHCP error message each time I power on my projector?  I have read the troubleshooting page you have linked to and it does not address, in a manner I can understand, the cause.

I've owned this projector for about 2 months.  At first the Roku SE worked seamlessly.  After about a week I would get the DHCP error from time-to-time.  The issue was resolved by unplugging and powering off both the projector and the Roku, but the issue then started to persist each time I powered on the projector.  

The issue is resolved each time by unplugging the Roku, but that's pretty annoying.  I'm assuming it has something to do with this Benq projector only having HDCP 1.4 and not 2.2, but I fail to understand why poweing down the Roku and then powering it back up would alleviate the issue until the projector is shut down.  Kindly advise.

0 Kudos