Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lubana
Streaming Star

How to fix HDCP Error Detected 020

Jump to solution

Everything played fine all day but now am getting "HDCP Error Detected" Error Code 020.  None of the streaming channels work.  Second problem in a month.  I am beginning to think Roku is just unpredictable 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix HDCP Error Detected 020

Jump to solution

@Lubana 

Thanks for the note.

If you are experiencing a HDCP error, we recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

85 REPLIES 85
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Could be a defective Roku, but could also be:

• a defective HDMI cable or cable that is not seated well at one or both ends
  • defective HDMI port on the tv (if you have more than one port try a different one)
  • or maybe even just dirt in the connections (try blowing them out with compressed air on both HDMI ports and cable ends).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Lubana 

Thanks for the note.

If you are experiencing a HDCP error, we recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Lubana
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

There was no problem with a connection.  All I had to do to get rid of the error message was to unplug my TV from the power source and then plug it back in.  If that's all it took, I wonder why the interruption of service.  

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Your TV was failing the HDCP protocol test. Resetting the tv fixed it. I guess it's your TV that is just unpredictable **bleep**.

These things are ALL computers of one type or another these days. They all have to be reset occasionally.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Rufio209

Jump to solution

Hello I purchased 2 of the roku premiere devices. Set both up and they play fine and randomly I will get hdcp error and it wont let me view any content. Have tried everything like un plugging devices and restarting the system. I have tried changing the picture quality, using different hdmi cables and nothing works. What is the deal? Do these devices just not work?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Rufio209 

Thanks for the note.

If you are seeing a HDCP error, we would recommend checking out the troubleshooting steps on our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RRLA

Jump to solution

Thank you! Totally fixed the issue. I thought I needed to buy a new ROKU device!

0 Kudos
colatech

Jump to solution

Recently moved and had this error come up when I set my system back up. Never had issues before, have tried different HDMI ports, and several cables. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@colatech 

Thanks for the inquiry.

we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos