Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veren
Level 7

HDCP Error on Roku Express Plus on Samsung NU7100 50" 4k TV

Hi i am hoping if anyone can solve my problem. I'm new and I've been using Roku for about 2 years now and love it. I've been having problems with my Roku player. I am hoping someone can help me fix the issue.

Recently like 2 or 3 days ago I just got a HDCP error message on my Roku Player on my TV. It an express plus had it for about 2 years and still works well. I love streaming Netflix, Hulu, and anime on my TV from Crunchyroll, etc. Now out of no where I never had any problems until the HDCP error popped up. Error code: 020. I did everything it said and even looked up YouTube for a "Quick fix" nothing works.

Now let me make this clear. I've tried every suggestion looked into what HDCP means, etc. I don't know why I'm getting the error it's been two days now and it's ticking me off. I don't know why it keeps doing this I keep trying different HDMI cables I own they all work fine when I try to play my Switch. Now I went and tested my Roku on my bros Vizio TV and guess what? It works. Perfectly fine. The HDMI cables load Roku perfectly on my TV but won't allow me to play videos at all even on Hulu or Sling.

I'm too afraid to say that it's the HDMI components insise the TV that are at fault "component defect issues" etc because I've has this TV since Christmas and I bought it from Best Buy. The smart features on my 4kTV work fine with the built in apps but some apps I don't have don't got Crunchyroll, etc. The weird thing is I even tried using my bros Amazon fire stick. The logo booted up and says it's working but displays black. The other weird issue with my Roku is it says the battery is drained and use the original power cord I used my android charger for it and it worked fine? I'm at a complete lost.

I don't think I would have to go through all the trouble just to watch 1080p content on a 4kTV on my Roku because of the HDCP issue. Could it be my TV in general if the Roku worked on my brothers TV? Along with the HDMI cables too? I hope someone can help me solve this issue. I really don't want to go buy a 4k Roku player and still have HDCP issues because I never had this issue before on my 4kTV. Thanks if anyone gives me any advice. I can't afford another TV either. Last time it said 1.4 then 2.0 so idk why it keeps changing I think my Roku and TV hate me. All I want to do is enjoy my TV because I got anxiety and it's hard to get out the house. Smiley Sad I was watching Logan and Deadpool just fine on my Roku and next thing you know 2 days later I get a HDCP error. Sorry. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: HDCP Error on Roku Express Plus on Samsung NU7100 50" 4k TV

Hi there! 

Thanks for sharing your experience here. A few questions to help clarify what you are seeing:

- Had your Roku device been working properly with the TV that is now experiencing the error?
- When did you first observe the error displaying? When you try to play content, or when you are viewing the Roku home screen, etc?
- If during content playback, which channel are you watching when you experience the HDCP error?
- What is the exact make/model of your TV experiencing the error?
- Have you tried using a premium or high-speed certified HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI cable to see if this clears up the issue?
- Have you tried connecting the device directly to a wall power outlet using the included power adapter to see if this clears up the power message you are seeing? If not, please try this. 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Veren
Level 7

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for sharing your experience here. A few questions to help clarify what you are seeing:

- Had your Roku device been working properly with the TV that is now experiencing the error?
- When did you first observe the error displaying? When you try to play content, or when you are viewing the Roku home screen, etc?
- If during content playback, which channel are you watching when you experience the HDCP error?
- What is the exact make/model of your TV experiencing the error?
- Have you tried using a premium or high-speed certified HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI cable to see if this clears up the issue?
- Have you tried connecting the device directly to a wall power outlet using the included power adapter to see if this clears up the power message you are seeing? If not, please try this. 

Yes. I have bad this TV since Christmas. It is going on March 3rd now and I am still having problems with my Roku. But it still works on my brothers TV pretty well. Like I said in my post. I tried all kinds of HDMI cables. Even the same ones that worked perfectly fine for my TV. Now out of no where I can't get a signal display from my Nintendo Switch but my Roku player works on HDMI 3. Sometimes 1 and 2 but on 3 when I try to play content I get the display error and it goes back to the Netflix channel my list etc.

I was watching anime on my TV one night when we were having really bad weather. I think it was VRV. My memory is blank. It was snowing and the next day the power went off on my TV. But I was watching Hey Arnold on my TV on Hulu on my Roku and I had my TV stretched to full screen. Aspect ratio etc. Then on the Roku the image started acting up and the characters on the screen got really close to the screen. I could barely see them it was like it was glitching out. I think that's what might've caused the HDCP error. Because I never had issues with watching Logan, etc.

- What is the exact make/model

I think it might've been Hulu. Because the picture quality started acting up when I was watching Hey Arnold. AND boom. HDCP outta no where. My TV model is UN50NU7100

I'm not sure what those are or what they do. I'm still having issues with my stuff. Smiley Sad

Yes I have tried everything that I was instructed to and all has failed so I don't know what else to do next. Smiley Sad I hope that answers you're questions.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the response. Please send me a private message with the following info so I can try to assist you further:

- Your Roku account email address 
- The serial number of your Roku player from Settings>System>About on your Roku player
- The version/build of software that is installed on your Roku player
- A list of the specific streaming channels that you see an HDCP error message occurring on

I'll follow up with you directly from there to assist you further. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
flintviolet
Level 7

I've been  having this same problem, HDCP error 020 message. I've change HDMI cords and followed all the steps, several times, used a different HDMI input on the tv...I have a roku 3. The only
thing mentioned that I haven't tried is ensuring the HDMI supports 2.2 but I guess my question is if it has worked for 3-4 years now up to 2 days ago just fine without a 2.2 HDMI cord why all of a sudden is it now a problem?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@flintviolet 

Thanks for letting us know. Could you please send me a PM with the following information so I can take a closer look: 

- What is your Roku account email address?
- What is your Roku device serial number from Settings>System>About?
- What is your specific TV make/model?
- What channel & which specific show/movie were you watching when you observed this error? 

I'll follow up with you directly to continue assisting you. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos