Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevinPr
Level 7

HDCP Error detected

Hello,

My Roku 3 device was working fine then all of sudden this past week it began giving the error "HDCP Error Detected" and "Content disabled unauthorized" messages. I did all of the Roku support recommended suggestions. (i.e. Unplug the HDMI cable, device. and tv and replug back in. Tried a different HDMI cable. Tried plugging the Roku 3 into another, exact same brand tv and model, and got the same error messages.) NOTE: This other exact same brand tv and model has the Roku Express connected to it and that works fine, as well as I have the Roku Ultra connected to another tv and tried swapping the HDMI cables from each of these with each tv and Roku device. Every Roku device, tv and HDMI cable works with each other tv and HDMI cable except for the Roku 3 device.

So, from what I can see, the issue appears to be with the Roku 3 device causing these "HDCP Error Detected" and "Content disabled unauthorized" errors. Cause that is the only common denominator with the error messages, TVs and HDMI cables.

Side note, even though I receive the "HDCP Error Detected" error message when first turning on the tv, the Roku 3 was playing the NASCAR race fine for me through 3/4 of the race yesterday. Then all of a sudden the screen went blank and then gave the "Content disabled unauthorized" error message.

Thoughts? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: HDCP Error detected

Your Roku 3 may have updated to OS10 - try reverting it to 9.4 if available:  Home 5x, FF 3x, RW 2x, Update software, Update now (if offered 9.4).

0 Kudos
KevinPr
Level 7

I am already still on the older 9.4.0.4210 version. Or are you referring to go back to just 9.4.0 without the .4210?

If so, how do I go back on the Roku?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@KevinPr wrote:

I am already still on the older 9.4.0.4210 version. Or are you referring to go back to just 9.4.0 without the .4210?

If so, how do I go back on the Roku?

Using the remote buttons as I described in the previous post.

Alternatively, you can see if OS10 is available for your Roku:  Settings/System/System update/Check now.

If it offers OS10, install it, and see if it resolves your issue.

0 Kudos
KevinPr
Level 7

I already checked if there was a system update and it said it was up to the current version.

I also had tried doing a reset of the Roku 3 too by pushing the reset button in the back of the device.

0 Kudos
KevinPr
Level 7

I also tried to update back too, but it only offers to update back to the same version I am on, 9.4.0.4210

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@KevinPr wrote:

I also tried to update back too, but it only offers to update back to the same version I am on, 9.4.0.4210

This may or may not be something fixed for the Roku 3 in OS10 - unfortunately your device cannot upgrade yet to find out.

For now, you'll need to contact Roku directly and report it: 

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos