Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SableSteel
Level 7

HDCP Error after Remote Control Failure

Hello
I bet a lot of people come on here with HDCP errors, but I have been unable to figure out my issue through the information I have found online.

My device: Roku Streaming Stick (Purple)
Connected Directly into TV HDMI peripheral which supports HDCP
Running with a 1080px display setting

The Roku device was working smoothly with this set up just a few hours ago. I was watching Netflix when the remote stopped working in the middle of an episode. After a battery change, multiple restarts and failed pairing attempts (the remote would blink green as if waiting to pair but nothing actually happened), I tried a second remote, borrowed from somebody else's Roku. This remote seemed to be a newer version, lacked a light or connection button, and I could not figure out how to connect the two, so I eventually gave up and installed the Roku app on my phone. The remote had been chewed up by a dog so it seemed perfectly reasonable that there was some hardware issue with the remote. Either way, the Roku app worked, and with it I once again had control of my device.

Only this time, I received an HDCP Unauthorized: Content Disabled on a purple screen, within the Netflix viewer (the user interface for Netflix and Roku was working okay; it was only the video content that was blocked). I tried restarting the Roku, removing it and the TV from power, switching it to a different HDMI port on the television (that previously was working smoothly was an xbox one, so I know at least the HDMI part of the port works, though I don't know if xbox uses HDCP), and changing the display settings (to 720px and widescreen, neither of which fixed the problems). I noticed that when setting the display back to 1080px (our automatic) it took a relatively long time to confirm HDCP in the display settings screen, whereas the 720px confirmed almost instantly. 

I am thinking maybe that the HDMI connection on the Roku is broken, might have been damaged when we unplugged it to attempt fixing the remote, and I might have to buy a new device, but I'd rather see what else I can try before it comes to that. 
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 17

Re: HDCP Error after Remote Control Failure

It's certainly possible the HDMI jack is damaged. Since your Stick is a 5 year old model, and the latest versions are significantly more powerful and improved, it might be time to just replace it. You might be surprised how much better a newer model works. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
SableSteel
Level 7

Re: HDCP Error after Remote Control Failure

Well, I managed to fix it (for now)

It seems the HDMI output was damaged; on further inspection the CEC pin of the Roku's HDMI output was bent (the plastic that keeps it in place was broken off). I bent it back into place and am no longer getting the HDCP error. 

Thank you
0 Kudos