Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flipside2131
Level 7

HDCP Error - Suggestions are not working

I have a tried the steps several times suggested by Roku.

I have replaced the Roku Express and the HDMI cable.

I still am receiving the error message.

How can it work one day and not the next?

Please advise as I am considering moving on from Roku.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: HDCP Error - Suggestions are not working

The two most common resolutions:

1) Manually configure display resolution (Settings/Display)

2) Disable "Auto adjust display refresh rate" (Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings) * Non-4K models lack this setting

You can also try moving it to a different HDMI port.

If none of those work, disabling "Automatic Recovery" after manually configuring the resolution may help:  Home 5x, Down, Left, Up 3x

0 Kudos
flipside2131
Level 7

Good Morning,

I have tried the options you provided.

Option 1 did not work.

Option 2 was not available.

I purchased a new Roku Express and HDMI cables and this did not work either.

Have changes on your end been made recently? I started receiving the message in the middle of watching a program.

I am concerned Roku is no longer compatible.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

I dont work for Roku - I'm an end-user/consumer just like you.

Did you try disabling auto-recovery?

Have you verified your TV has the latest firmware too?

Otherwise, you can report it directly to Roku.

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos
flipside2131
Level 7

Thank you for responding.

I did not understand how to disable the auto-recovery. When I hit the home button 5X and follow the remaining steps, it just jumps around the home page.

How do I keep the page static during these moves?

Regards,

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Make sure you have it already at Home when you do it - dont worry about it navigating the menu during the sequence:  Home 5x, Down, Left, Up 3x

0 Kudos
flipside2131
Level 7

I was able to disable but unfortunately I received the HDCP error message again.

Thank you for your effort. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Unfortunately, Roku-side HDCP issues have plagued Roku devices for many years, and they've never bothered to fix it - its perfectly reasonable to switch to a different streamer platform (e.g. FireTV), which arent reported to have HDCP issues at all.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 10

@flipside2131 

Basically, the troubleshooting is limited to finding out what in the HDCP protocol chain is failing to verify.  Can try using another HDMI cable and another HDMI port on your TV.  (one of these will usually work on your standard 720/1080 TVs to fix the problem. ).  Since you received same message twice with different Roku units, and was working prior, tend to think it may be with TV HDMI port.  (Of course, make sure your Roku units are updated to latest 9.4)

If you have tried switching cables and HDMI ports with no success, then you can read here for another way to eliminate this issue if you want to keep your Roku.  It basically entails a HDMI splitter.  More expensive ones exist for 4k since some convert HDCP protocols to fix certain compatibility errors.

0 Kudos
flipside2131
Level 7

Thank you for your suggestion.

I attempted changing HDMI ports and have changed HDMI cables to no avail.

At this time I have decided to move on from Roku.

0 Kudos