Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user59123

HDCP Error After Trying Multiple Different Suggestions

Am struggling with HDCP on my Roku Ultra. My TV model is VIZIO M492i-B2 (an older 1080p HDTV from 2014). Here's what I tried so far.

• Exchanged the Roku Ultra for another one, worked for an hour then HDCP issue came back

• Tried HDMI cords: one that came with the PS4, one Amazon Basics, one PowerBear 4K

• HDMI Cable 6 ft

• Tried the cords on all four HDMI inputs

• Manually set the display to 1080p (which is fine, it's an old 1080p HDTV)

• Tried both settings on "Auto-adjust display refresh rate"

• Toggled CEC on and off on the HDTV, neither worked

• Toggled Gaming Mode on/off on the HDTV, neither worked

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: HDCP Error After Trying Multiple Different Suggestions

When are you getting this HDCP? When watch a certain channel? Hard to believe that 2 Roku Ultras have the same issue. Exactly when does this happen? What are you doing? What are you watching? Did you try the Roku Ultra on another TV? 

https://support.roku.com/article/208755468

0 Kudos
Chauloom
Channel Surfer

It's the new update if you factory reset it won't happen until you take the new update, which sadly you can't turn off. Think they want us all to buy new equipment. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@Chauloom  nothing wrong with Roku OS 10.5. Millions of users have it with zero issues. I have 2 TCL Roku TV's running 10.5 and no issues. I have about 10 family members with  TCL Roku TV's and no issues. A few posts on here does not account for the millions of users without issues. 

0 Kudos
Chauloom
Channel Surfer

Good for you and your family, but the people experiencing the problem will find a factory reset will fix the problem. Not saying it's a problem for every single device but people with the problem will find it's the update. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

If Roku OS 10.5 bricked millions of Roku devices yes there would be an issue. Apple and Google have released OS versions that completely brick phones for millions. They quickly release a patch. Like I said a few posts on here do not account for the millions of users without issues. I have 6 Roku devices in my home. Zero issues and all up to date. If your Roku is under warranty file a claim. If not you buy a newer one for $30-40 

0 Kudos
Chauloom
Channel Surfer

I have two Roku devices both have the same issue, so in my life nothing works, in your life everything does, wish we could switch lives. You probably have a much better TV than I do, I would guess my TV is older, with all the new stuff coming out support gets pulled all the time for old android versions. 

The new update killed my 2 devices, I don't know why because I don't code. Looks like it's the same for other people.

0 Kudos
Chauloom
Channel Surfer

You must work for the company as you are telling me to buy a new one. No guarantee a newer one will work as two devices don't one is newer. My guess would be my old TV is not compatible with the new update. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

90% of people in here do not work for Roku. Anyone who does there signature says "Roku employee". You have to mention which models you have or when you purchased them. Roku does not make TV's. They sell the OS to companies such as Hisense and TCL. My 32" TCL Roku TV is about 3 years old. It is running Roku OS 10.5 with zero issues. My 65" TCL Roku TV is about 11 months old with zero issues. My 3 Roku Sticks are about 3 years old with zero issues. My Roku Ultra is about 3 years old also with zero issues. Can you provide make and model numbers. 

0 Kudos
Chauloom
Channel Surfer

My TV is 9 or 10 years old it's a techinka my Roku express is 1 year old and the other one is 3 years old 3930EU it's on the new 10.5.0 build 4208 - AE which doesn't work with my old TV. If I brought a new TV and maybe a new Roku it would probably work perfectly so my fix would be new equipment sadly, as would others experiencing the same issue. 

Sorry I'm confused by your comment Roku don't make TVs then you say you have a TLC Roku TV. Do you mean a smart TV when you can just download the app? My TV isn't smart I need the actual hardware do you use hardware at all? Do you have to use a hdmi cable? 

0 Kudos