Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: HDCP ERROR?

Jump to solution

Has this ever been fixed?

I have a Vizio V585-G1

Brand new HDMI cable

I followed every possible fix and then had Vizio and Roku on chat this morning.

Vizio said, "oh well, HDCP is supported on our TV."

Roku said, "oh well, HDCP is supported on our box."

So I am taking back the TV and getting a replacement Roku.  Then I'll sell the Roku as new.  Then buy a TCL with it built in.

So disappointed with Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mbconsul
Level 7

Jump to solution

Did you try this solution from Timmn?

“Try this: Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Display Settings -> Auto-adjust display refresh rate if it's set to Enabled, set it to Disabled, Then go to HDR subsampling and set it to 4:2:0 That worked for me, your results may vary.”

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Yep, I certainly did.

My biggest first mistake was not setting the input port to HDR enabled on the Vizio TV.  Only HDMI ports 1 and 2 can do this.  I tried them both so they are now both set for HDR.

I tried disabling the adv. setting and doing both 4:2:0 and 4:2:2.  All with full power downs of both devices.

Roku also had me try setting the display to HDR 4k 60fps and after it failed the HDCP check you can "force" it to use theis 4k setting.  Still didn't work.

Last test was to use my Roku Streaming Stick+.  This kills the whole hdmi cable issue.

That doesn't work either.

My Vizio V585-G1 is going back to Costco.  How can they sell something that is supposed to be 4k not even work with a 4k box.  It's great if you only use the Smart TV functions but there is no Disney plus and my HDhomerunn isn't there.

I'll just go get a TCL 6 with built in Roku and add chromecast dongle.

Hopefully that will work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
timmn
Level 10

Jump to solution

I doubt that the problem is with the Vizio TV, and I've heard that the TVs with Roku built in are having problems with the 9.2.0 update also. Someone gave me a 4K Fire Stick for Christmas, and that has been working without any problems. I still go back to the Roku box from time to time simply because I like the user interface better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

So they are replacing the Roku Ultra for starters.  I doubt that will help.

If Roku would just acknowledge that the problem was theirs it would be fine.  I could wait for a firmware update.  But they just want to blame the TV connection.

It is really funny when I use a Roku Streaming stick + and their is NO HDMI cable to blame.  That HDMI cable cop out was a disaster. I bought a new one just to ward off the possibility.  Sent it right back to Amazon.

I still don't understand how HDMI and HDCP can be a STANDARD if they can't follow it and make it work.  It is really all about copyright protections.  They want to make sure you can't take HDMI output and send it to something that will record a 4K signal.  Talk about fighting the wrong battle.  Who would do that?  I can rip it from BluRay on my PC or just bit torrent it.  Too much work for a protection that doesn't protect anything.

Just make my Roku box work on ANY 4k TV for crying out loud Roku!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
timmn
Level 10

Jump to solution

Yes, it is all about copyright protection, and you can thank the MPAA and the RIAA for that, but I think that the 9.2.0 Roku software update was released a bit too soon, from the way it looks from my vantage point, they didn't test it enough before pushing it out, and I think they are going to pay a high price for that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I would have to agree with you.

I returned the HDMI cable I bought from Amazon and ordered a shorter one.  1.5M HDMI that is fully compatible.

I just got the replacement Ultra from Roku.

Not a thing different.  Same problem.

I wish they would just admit there is an issue with the new software.  I can wait on that, but the utter lack of interest in a serious issue seems weird.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Jump to solution

Not everyone is having this issue.

It just means the software on both ends isnt

playing nice for whatever reason.

It could be the TV, the cord as well.

I'm sure its frustrating as **bleep**.

I pulled this off the web;

How to fix HDCP errors
  1. Unplug both ends of the HDMI cable.
  2. Turn off or unplug power from the TV and Roku.
  3. Reconnect both ends of the HDMI cable.
  4. Turn on or replug power to the TV and Roku.
Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
timmn
Level 10

Jump to solution

I'm not sure if you noticed, but this thread is marked "solved" if there is a solution to this problem, I can't find it here. Up until the release of the 9.2.0 software, I wouldn't have bought anything but a Roku. I simply got tired of having them push my box a different build of the software and then asking me if it worked any better. Apparently, not everyone is having this problem, it seems to be related to what hardware you have the Roku box connected to. At this point, the only suggestion I can offer is not to replace the Roku box, but to replace everything that it's connected to, the only problem is that I'm not 100% sure that will fix the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Frustr8dRkuUsr  Thanks for sharing the observations here. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you're running into. I'll follow up directly to continue assisting you directly, and help pass your report and feedback along to our team to take a closer look at the behavior you are experiencing. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos