Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Chubs
Level 7

Re: HDCP ERROR?

Jump to solution

I'm getting the same HDCP Error Detected screen on my Roku 2 and I'm not even trying to watch 4K content.

I really hope this isn't Roku's way of getting people to upgrade/purchase new Roku boxes. This was definitely caused by a "System Update". 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
visitor200
Level 9

Jump to solution

None of the suggestions posted here corrected my HDCP error . . . so I went back to the original error screen and more carefully read the instructions, which turned out to correct the error.

Here is what I did which made it work:

1) Unplug the power cord to the TV.

2) Unplug the power cord to the Roku

3) Unscrew both ends of the HDMI cable to the TV and to the Roku device.

4) Wait 10 minutes

5)  Screw in both ends of the HDMI cable to the TV and the Roku Device.

6) Plug the TV power cable back into the electrical source and turn ON the TV

7) Plug the Roku power cable back into the electrical source and wait for Roku to start up again.

So what is the reason for this?  I believe somewhere between the TV powering, the Roku powering, and the HDMI connections are both ends produced a corrupted signal causing the error. But instead of isolating which part of the chain was corrupt, the instructions required a complete shutdown and manual disconnect of all hard wired connections.

Just before I used the above successful instructions, I chose to go through the agonizing (but perhaps required) process of reformatting my Roku as if it were new out of the box. That required me to reinstall it and clone in all of my 280 channels from another Roku I have in the house so as not to lose my channel selections.  But that took an hour of downloading, followed by a software update and restart.  When this failed to rid me of the Error screen, then I following the seven (7) power unplug and cable disconnect steps listed above and the Error screen no longer appeared.

SO perhaps sometimes to the solution is in front of our eyes with a closer more careful reading of the instructions on the error page.hdcp error.jpg

Currently own 2017 Roku 4660 Ultra

Previously owned: 2015 Roku 1 Legacy, and Roku 3 (Model 4200x), Model N1000, Software V3.1 build 1011, and Model 2000c, Software V3.1 build 1011

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RubenM
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello All

I went threw all the suggestion twice even.

At the end was a new monster hdmi cable from the roku to the avr and that seemed to have worked.

Of course as soon as say that it will probably stop working lol 

But it was pain stalking going threw everything.

Merry christmas to all

Ruben

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Chubs
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree with you the 7 steps work but it's a temporary fix. I get the error message roughly every 2 weeks since the early November update. In early December I upgraded my TV and all my HDMI cables and yesterday the HDCP Error popped up again. My Roku 2(a 1080p box) is connected straight to the TV using a 8ft HDMI 2.0 cable, no other devices between them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
timmn
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Chubs wrote:

I really hope this isn't Roku's way of getting people to upgrade/purchase new Roku boxes. This was definitely caused by a "System Update". 

No, I don't think this is an effort to make people upgrade to newer Roku boxes, from what I've seen and heard, the problem is even on some newer and brand-new Roku boxes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
timmn
Level 10

Jump to solution

@visitor200 wrote:

Here is what I did which made it work:

1) Unplug the power cord to the TV.

2) Unplug the power cord to the Roku

3) Unscrew both ends of the HDMI cable to the TV and to the Roku device.

4) Wait 10 minutes

5)  Screw in both ends of the HDMI cable to the TV and the Roku Device.

6) Plug the TV power cable back into the electrical source and turn ON the TV

7) Plug the Roku power cable back into the electrical source and wait for Roku to start up again.

I'm glad that worked for you, it did work for me, but only for awhile. As much as I like Roku's User Interface, in the end, if I continue to have problems, I may have to go get something else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

From online searches it seems like this is an ongoing issue with multiple Roku products over an extended period of time. My brand new roku does this, yet I’ve never had issues with appletv. I’ve used multiple cables without any change in system behavior. Seems like roku engineers need to revamp their products. If I had to do it again I’d recommend another product over roku. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bigcid10
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have a Marantz SR6013(2018) AVR

a LG 65in OLED65C8PUA hdr 4K TV

replaced the hdmi cable with certified 18GB 2.2 cables

roku ultra 9.2 4806

Still getting HDCP error 20

Please fix this

EDIT:

I fixed my issue 

I tried the method of disabling the auto refresh rate 

and changing the color from 4 2 2 to 4 2 0

I was getting those error 20 every 10 min

Made those above changes and no issues after that

but after about 2 hrs of no errors ,I put the color setting back to 4 2 2

and it was still fine,so the end of my story is

disable the auto refresh rate only  and it will be fine 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
woodbanker
Level 7

Jump to solution

Disabling auto refresh on my Roku stick plus did the trick, I was also able to connect my remote to my new LG TV right away after countless unsuccessful tries before. Thanks for the tip.

Highlighted
mbconsul
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is a Roku problem and should be resolved by them. I have a Samsung TV with both a Roku Ultra and a Firestick 4K. If I use the firestick I get a message it is adjusting the frame rate at the same point the Roku gets the error. 
The firestick handles the adjustment correctly, the Roku does not. 

0 Kudos