Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HBO Max channel not loading on rokutv

I just started the hbo max free for 30 days. But, hbo won't load. I already updated Roku, removed and added HBO but the channel will not load. It shows like it wants to but then goes back to the startup screen on roku. Any ideas? Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
CyraKitty
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max channel not loading on rokutv

I'm having the same problem with Roku Express +4K.  I would greatly like to get this resolved as there is content coming up I want to see!!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @CyraKitty,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.
A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 
1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
3. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
4. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
As a first step, you can try to remove the channel that you are experiencing the issue with from the Roku home screen? Then, disconnect your device from power for a minute. Plug it back in, then try to add the channel back once more and see if this clears up the issue. 

To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support 

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
CyraKitty
Reel Rookie

1 - Roku device

2 - only occurs on HBO max

3 - no messages. Just starts to load then flashes back to channel screen

4 - restarted,  uni stalled and reinstalled app. This has happened on two devices both running 10 point something

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@CyraKitty

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CyraKitty
Reel Rookie

Upstairs Unit:

model: 3941x- Roku Express 4K+

serial: X01600K2FJWT

Device ID: S07P5142FJWT

Software: 10.5.0 build 4208-CR

Living Room Unit:

model: 3820X - Streaming Stick 4K

serial: X017006TP22H

Device ID: S08Y419TP22H

Software: 10.5.1 build 4066 CU

The issue occurs only on HBO max (50.60 build 70744 [both units])

The tracker IDs were: 2H-014-302 (Living room) and WT-014-312 (Upstairs)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@CyraKitty 

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, have you made sure to:

1. Log out of the HBO Max channel.
  2. Remove the channel, restart the Roku device, then add the channel back again, specifically in this order.
  3. Re-authenticate the HBO channel and see if the issue is resolved.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MCRiley
Reel Rookie

I can’t uninstall HBO max. It only gives the option to manage subscription. I don’t want to cancel it, because I have a special promotion that I can’t get if I cancel. I have a brand new Onn tv with Roku. Can you help me?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@MCRiley 

Why are you wanting to uninstall HBO Max if you want to keep the subscription? Is the app behaving poorly? If so, tell us what's going on.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MCRiley
Reel Rookie

The app won’t load at all. When I click on it it says HBO max then three little dots followed by a black screen. I am paying for a black screen currently. 

0 Kudos