Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amyberta
Level 9

Re: Glitch with HBOMax app

How do you reboot the Roku stick?

thanks

0 Kudos
cjm62790
Level 7

I am having the exact same problem. Just now it even caused my entire Roku tv to restart just after hitting play from a paused video in HBO Max

David89
Level 8

I tried this and it works.

0 Kudos
David89
Level 8

I have never had HBO so I have no devices to disconnect or sign out.

However, I did try the next steps

Remove the HBO App from my Roku 2710x then reinstalled it.

It did not fix the problem.

The HBO app still goes back to the Roku home screen.

Karmagedon
Level 10

not sure if your 2710x received 9.0.4 4200?  hbo app is removed from channel store, you have to install hbo max app

0 Kudos
TashaBouvier
Level 8

I have the same problem! I’ve tried all the tips offered by HBO - remove the app, restart the Roku, add the app again. I even canceled my subscription and tried to get HBO Max through Amazon Prime, but on the Roku it still only offers you regular HBO titles. So I switched back to Roku app again, and the same bug is still keeping me from watching anything. I can’t believe I’m paying for this and I can’t watch anything. I never had this problem with my HBO Now subscription. Where does the problem lie? With HBO or with Roku? 

0 Kudos
CCinEncinitas
Level 7

Same issue here in San Diego as well... been trying to view Beforeigners on HBO Max via ROKU... I can actually view other programs ok but not Beforeigners... as soon as I try to start any episode it kicks me back to the ROKU menu... And I have tried all the "fixes " described in the previous posts... I quick reply from ROKU would be nice so that we know someone might be paying attention to all the disappointing stories in this list...

0 Kudos
jfletch47
Level 9

@TashaBouvier wrote:

I have the same problem! I’ve tried all the tips offered by HBO - remove the app, restart the Roku, add the app again. I even canceled my subscription and tried to get HBO Max through Amazon Prime, but on the Roku it still only offers you regular HBO titles. So I switched back to Roku app again, and the same bug is still keeping me from watching anything. I can’t believe I’m paying for this and I can’t watch anything. I never had this problem with my HBO Now subscription. Where does the problem lie? With HBO or with Roku? 

I know you say you have tried all the solutions, but did you download the latest Roku software update as well?

Only asking as I had HBO Now as well and it took the software update to get the app to changeover to HBOMax.  I opened the HBO app and watched as it changed over to Max.  Once I came out, the app headline changed on its own to HBOMax.  The glitch I reported is still an occasional issue meaning most of the time when I go into the app it works fine.  Occasionally, it will open and then immediately go back to the Roku home screen.  It does work when I go back in.  More of a nuisance than anything else at this stage.  Good luck

0 Kudos
FINZ2RIGHT
Level 8

I have been and continue to have the same problem. One thing I have tried with some success is to wait about 20 seconds or so at the “Who is watching” prompt before selecting and moving to the next screen. Having said that, ROKU NEEDS TO FIX THE APP. 

0 Kudos
gkvector
Level 7

It's likely not Roku that needs to be listening. Rather, HBO needs to be paying attention.

Honestly, as long as it took to negotiate this deal, it's absolutely absurd that this app is not practically perfect. They've certainly had enough time for extensive testing.

0 Kudos