Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Re: Garbled sound ROKU TV SOUND GARBLED:

An even easier fix is to just press the '*' (star key) on the Roku remote during playback of an active stream where the audio is messed up...This will bring up the 'Options' menu where you can then cycle the volume modes ('Leveling', 'Night', and 'Off')... going to the 'Off' mode seems to be when it resets the audio and fixes the problem.

Once the audio gets reset, you could then go right back to the 'Leveling' mode again (if you like)...

AndrewLG

Re: Garbled sound

I wasn't sure that "garbled sound" was the right description for my problem until someone said it sound like there are demons in my TV.   Then I knew I was in the right place.   As everyone has suggested, any form of switching audio settings or power cycling fixes the problem for a random amount of time.   But I don't think the problem is the ROKU.   This happens on my new LG 86 inch TV with an ARC connected (HDMI) pioneer surround system.   I don't own a ROKU.   I feel the problem has something to do with how new devices decode surround channel steering logic.   This did not happen with the same audio setup and my 5 year old TV. 

jc5
Binge Watcher

I don't know because I'm not familiar with decoding. I bought my TV in 2016, Vizio Smart TV, and now have a ROKU device. I haven't had problems with the sound for a long time. After I posted this, it seemed as if I never had it.  I think my TV sometimes updates, so maybe you're right. Maybe it's the TV, not the Roku.

0 Kudos
anabel213
Reel Rookie

Does changing to these settings stop my surround sound from working properly?

0 Kudos
WYJoe
Reel Rookie

Set ROKU audio to stereo, ROKU HDMI to stereo-PCM. Then on TV audio settings set Dolby compression to Line. This works for my Samsung TV & sound bar.

0 Kudos

Can you please tell me the software version and build number?

0 Kudos
anabel213
Reel Rookie

Where do I find that?  I find if I reset (power on and off) it fixes the issue.  But it's so annoying! 

jc5
Binge Watcher

Push your asterisk button. There you will be able to scroll up and down. You will find volume settings below caption settings and audio track. I moved from one setting to the next and keep mine on the night setting. I haven't had garbled sound for a long time. Hope it works for you.

0 Kudos
jc5
Binge Watcher

I have the Roku player 3920X

0 Kudos
jc5
Binge Watcher

I don't know for sure. But I know that you can choose "settings", "system", and "audio" from your main menu options and perhaps find help there.

0 Kudos