Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

Thanks for letting us know what you're experiencing. Do you see this issue if you connect your Roku devices directly to the TV? Does connecting the Roku directly to the TV, then connecting the DVR to the receiver via HDMI ARC for audio still result in the same issue? 

Please feel free to send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About, the specific make and model of both your TV and your A/V receiver, along with any additional details about the behavior, when it occurs, and if changing any Settings in Settings>Display type helps resolve the issue. I'll help take a closer look and continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
rich554
Level 7

Has this issue been resolved yet? Seems to happen to me primarily with youtube. Of course that is all i watch.
0 Kudos
Hanzo
Level 7

Wow, so glad to have found this thread. This issue is driving me nuts. My Ultra is cutting out pretty frequently as well. I had a four port auto switcher in between the Ultra and my soundbar that I thought way causing the issue, but I removed it and it is still doing it. I am going to try to bypass the soundbar next but honestly I don't want to cut the soundbar out just to get this thing to work. For those in talks with support, have any solutions been offered?

EDIT: so going straight to the TV seemed to have solved the issue, but now I can't use my soundbar, so I guess I either need to get something besides this Roku or upgrade my soundbar? Samsung HW-F450 if that matters.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RangerDoc275
Level 7

Seems this issue has been going on for several years now. Searching for a solution led me to this thread. Its now August of 2019 and I am seeing this issue on my own Roku Ultra. It worked fine for several weeks but now is randomly flashing a blank screen and audio drop outs.  I am using premium HDMI cables running to an Onkyo receiver then to a Sony TV.  Every other source works fine and only the Roku, regardless of what channel I'm watching, does this drop out.

I have tried swapping inputs and cables, I've changed Advanced Settings.  Nothing seems to resolve the issue. It so annoying to watch a 20 minute show and have the screen go blank several times and have to rewind to hear what was missed.

Are there any solutions that are actually known to work?  Why hasn't Roku done something to address this after more than two years?  I didn't have these, nor any similar issues, with the Apple TV that this Roku replaced. I only went to the Roku because fast-forward and rewind on the Apple TV sucks.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
mikeedney
Level 7

Has there been a remedy for this issue?
I bought a 65” Vizio Quantum P series and new ROKU Ultra. I have a brand new, high dollar HDMI cable from the ROKU to the tv in HDMI port 1. I also have an Ethernet cable directly from my modem to the ROKU.
The first few weeks, I had no issue. The past 4 weeks, my screen goes black and the volume dies for 2-3 seconds each time. It happens regardless of what app I am using and my firmware is up to date. I have done soft and hard resets to no avail. This happens multiple times per hour and is getting ridiculous!
Why does this happen and when is ROKU going to have a software fix for this?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mikeedney
@RangerDoc275

Thanks for letting us know about what you're seeing. I'd like to gather some more information and details to take a closer look. Please send me a PM with the following information:

- Your Roku account email address
- Your Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About 
- Your TV's specific manufacturer model #. 
- An example of a specific streaming channel and content title that you were watching when you observe this issue occurring. 
- Confirm whether or not trying an alternate HDMI port on your TV resolves the issue. 
- Confirm that you have 'disabled' the 'auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings on your device. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
RangerDoc275
Level 7

Thanks for the lack of response. I posted the exact same issue that @mikeedney posted, literally! Yet you ignore me and try to help him. I hope you help him and maybe he will be kind enough to share.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for any oversight. 

Please free free to follow the same convention, and send a private message with the same details. These will be requested when investigating any specific report of this issue. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Thewildacot
Level 7

I am having the same issues. Every day when I go to watch something I get a second or two of flashing then a minute or two of good viewing and then again more flashing. I typically can restart it to fix it for a while but today it’s not worked. The flashing is continuous no matter how many times I restart the system or remove the power and replace it.

Update: I completely lost signal and then got an error message to unplug everything and restart. I plugged directly to my tv and so far it has fixed it for now. I guess we will see what happens tomorrow when I turn it on again.
0 Kudos
MedusaWoman
Level 7

Same issue.  Screen just blinks for a second or two.  Sometimes it happens all night long -- sometimes never.  My Roku is connected to Ethernet (it happened on WiFi too).  And then it RoKu goes into a Samsung tv with an HDMI cable.  I noticed a lot of people PM'd the Roku moderator.  Is a fix available?  What is the outcome of all of the PMs?
0 Kudos