Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

Thanks for the note here. A couple questions:

- What are the specific makes/models of the A/V receiver & TV you are using? 
- Have you tried connecting the Roku directly to your TV, then using the TV's audio out to route the audio to your receiver? Does the same issue occur? 

Please feel free to PM me with more details, including your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About and I'll help take a closer look to see how else we can assist. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
they2know
Level 7

For you guys getting an intermittent black screen, try disabling your auto adjust display fresh rate underneath Advanced display settings
0 Kudos
lilmz
Level 7

Don't know if this will work for anyone else. I had the same problem with my tv picture going off then on over and over for the last few days.It came out of nowhere and I tried a few things and was finally successful.Yesterday I unplugged my tv and DVR for a few hours and booted my DVR then plugged my tv in and when it rebooted the problem was gone.Don't know if I was lucky but thought I'd mention it since it sloved the problem.Good luck and let me know if it works for anyone else.
0 Kudos
davenelson
Level 7

I am also having the black screen issue with the Roku Display Type set to 4k HDR 60hz with a brand new Vizio PX65, I did not have this issue with a Vizio M60.
If I manually switch the Roku Display Type to 4k HDR 30hz, the black screen issue goes away, but any motion on the screen looks awful.
4k 60Hz also does not have the black screen issue, and looks ok.
So I agree with others, this is an HDR issue with the Roku.
I have switched out HDMI cables and have the issue with both new Vizio and Amazon Basics cables.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@davenelson 

Thanks for letting us know what you're running into. Are you also seeing black flashes on your TV? Does this occur on any screen or only in specific channels? Does it happen when you play content, or anytime you are using the device? 

Please feel free to send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About, along with any additional details about the issue. I'll help take a closer look and continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
davenelson
Level 7

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
@davenelson 

Thanks for letting us know what you're running into. Are you also seeing black flashes on your TV? Does this occur on any screen or only in specific channels? Does it happen when you play content, or anytime you are using the device? 

Please feel free to send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About, along with any additional details about the issue. I'll help take a closer look and continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks! 
Tanner

It happens in every screen and app including the menu screens when in HDR 60hz.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming that! Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address and your Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About, along with the details you provided earlier. I'll help take a closer look and pass your details along to my team to take a closer look. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
debjax
Level 7

I am having the same issue on ALL of my Roku devices, which include 4 Ultras and a Premier. When the screen comes back from the black, there is a gray bar that shows resolution across the top. This is increasing in frequency, occurring every few minutes. All apps, even in the setup menu. Different internet networks (use son's when we are at his house, hospital's network when in the hospital) so network is not the issue and it occurs on multiple televisions, some Samsung, an Insignia and a Sharp. This started within the last few months and is getting extremely annoying. 
0 Kudos
chubbycheese
Level 7

Same issue for me. It's been happening for at least 6 months, but only after I switched from my Vizio 1080P to the M-series 4K tv. This is happening way too often and I'm honestly thinking about putting an nVidia Shield on the TV instead.
0 Kudos
Quin430
Level 7

I’ve been having the same issue for the past year since I purchased a new Samsung 4K tv. I have a roku routed through a 4K compliant Denon AV receiver to my tv. My roku 4 started with the screen intermittently flashing to black. Tried new hdmi cords, checked for power surges, tried different inputs. Nothing worked. Finally bought another new Roku Ultra and it’s still happening. I’ve read countless threads and it seems like Roku has no answers or intent to address the problem that has been happening for other folks for the past three years.

This does not happen on any other device running through the AV receiver (Xbox One, Blu-ray player and. Media server computer).

Customer support is no help. Clearly just reading from a script of topics.

If I can’t get this fixed soon I’m dropping all roku devices and moving to a different streaming platform.
0 Kudos