Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

Problem Solved.
Go into Settings.
Display Type.
Set it to 720p TV.

Your TV screen should immediately stop flickering.
0 Kudos
TEW
Level 7

I recently ran into this problem after buying a Roku Ultra to replace my Streaming Stick - I wanted the Ethernet port.

My Ultra goes into my Samsung Sound bar (HW-M550) then the sound bar goes into the 2009 Samsung 1080P TV. 

I did a lot of troubleshooting - checking firmware, reset the TV to factory settings, etc. I finally solved it by doing the following:

1 - Unplug TV, Sound Bar and Roku.
2 - Unplug HDMI cable from Roku
3 - Wait a short time.
4 - Plug HDMI cable back in
5 - Turn on everything.

I have all 3 devices on a power strip - so power is applied all at the same time.

This solved it until I did a Roku reboot using the remote (when YouTube TV was having some sort of Outage) So then I did the process again and it solved the problem. So it has been tested twice but YMMV.

Hopefully this will help at least one person.
0 Kudos
fastzombies
Level 7

Solved Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

I have a Samsung all-in-one home theater system sending video into a 2012 Panasonic plasma TV that still works fine and is very bright.  Roku2 XS into the Samsung worked fine with this setup for years, but the old Roku2 has been getting slow and unstable and reboots were taking a ridiculous amount of time.

So I get a Roku Ultra and have this same flicker problem.  No amount of settings fiddling worked.  Then I read the very nice write up in this thread about the overly sensitive handshaking between the Ultra and any Samsung SmartHub device and noticed most people with problems had a Samsung of some sort.  So before before buying a $120 cable as suggested, I reconfigured the system and it solved the problem, but with a caveat:

Instead of running the Roku into the Samsung, I run the Roku into the Panasonic then SPDIF audio out to the Samsung SPDIF audio in.  Flicker problem solved.

Caveat is that the Samsung receiver is now basically a soundbar.  I've lost my Blu-ray player, which isn't a big deal.  I also have a Chromecast, but my particular Panasonic TV has a second HDMI in that for some reason is intolerably dim.   So I've lost my Chromecast as well.  Fortunately, I only ever used it for YouTube and the Roku YouTube app seems to work fine with our Android phones for YouTube streaming.  Now I don't need a new receiver or TV or a $120 HDMI cable.  Your caveat is whether or not your particular devices and/or setup requirements can accept this setup.

Samsung SmartHub is crap, but since the old Roku2 worked fine, this is a Roku Ultra problem and Roku is acting in very poor taste to let this problem go unaddressed for so long.  They have the market share for streaming devices and are acting like they can't lose it.

I hope this workaround helps someone.
0 Kudos
alittlewino
Level 7

same flashing black screen issue on a Telstra supplied Roku - I have 2, 1 has been perfect, the other about 1 yr old started the flashing on a frequency of about 20-30secs, and just flashes off for 1 sec and then on again

simply unplugged it from power for 24hrs, replugged to power and watched a 2hr movie last night without issue - go figure
0 Kudos
Itzkylehomie
Level 7

So I’ve had my TCL Roku 55” 4K tv since December 2016.... and a day or two ago, I started having the problem where only half (right side) of my screen flashing black. It’s extremely annoying. Have no idea why it’s just randomly started doing it, but it does it on every app... YouTube, Espn, Netflix, even the home screen now. Tried a factory reset...still did it.

Literally just turned my brightness down from Brightest, down to normal, and the problem seems to have stopped. I haven’t seen it do it since (it’s been about 15 mins or so). Now the moment I turn the brightness back up, it starts again. I’m not sure what to make of it honestly
0 Kudos
kur341
Level 7

There is an option in advanced settings for display refresh rate. Fixed the issue for me:

How do I configure the display refresh rate?
The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting can be enabled or disabled from the settings menu on your 4K capable Roku player. The setting will NOT change when your Roku player reboots or when the software updates.

Press the Home button home on your Roku remote.
Scroll up or down and select Settings.
Select System and then select Advanced system settings.
Select Advanced display settings.
Select Auto-adjust display refresh rate and choose from the following:
Enabled – Your Roku player will automatically switch to the native format of the movie, video or TV show when playback begins.

Note: Due to video mode changes by your TV, the picture may flash to black when starting and stopping playback. These video mode changes occur more often with channels like Netflix, that automatically play video content when browsing the channel interface.

Disabled – Your Roku player will output ALL content at 60fps.
0 Kudos
rjxtnevy
Level 7

Changing brightness from maximum to normal fixed this for me.

Hope this helps someone.
0 Kudos
911jason
Level 7

Just started happening on my Premier+ connected to a Sony 4k. Been using this setup for about a year just fine and out of the blue the black screen flashes started. So frustrating.
0 Kudos
Sevrard
Level 7

"Nebo1ss" wrote:
I have experienced the same problem and have found temporary workaround that deal with this until ROKU issue a fix.

The first one i found useful was to change the video setting to 4K HDR 30 HZ instead of 60 HZ.

The second  thing that worked for me was to change the advance setting from 4.2.2 to 4.2.0

Either one of these changes fixes the problem immediately for me. Hope it helps you as well

Can you please explain how to change the video setting to 4K HDR 30 HZ instead of 60 HZ and change the advance setting from 4.2.2 to 4.2.0
Thanks
0 Kudos
Sevrard
Level 7

Can anyone please explain how to change the video setting to 4K HDR 30 HZ instead of 60 HZ and change the advance setting from 4.2.2 to 4.2.0? Thank you. 
0 Kudos