Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fanorama
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

I NEVER ONCE had a problem with my Roku 3 blanking on my Samsung @ 1080. But it started when I upgraded to a Roku Premier+. Tried everything. They even sent me a new one. I even got a new HDMI cable, but the black screen only happens on 1080. It never happens with 720.
0 Kudos
menes777
Level 7

My unit does this too no matter what source I use (Hulu, Amazon, Plex). At first I thought it was a loose cable or maybe a heating issue, but it continually does it until I shut down the unit and unplug it (restarting sometimes helps).  I am so disappointed in the performance of this device (Ultra and Premiere) that I will probably not buy another Roku unit.  Amazon's fire TV (3rd Gen) is now just as cheap.
0 Kudos
JenniferT
Level 7

yes, happening with HDR and 4k, screensaver. All channels affected. 
Jennifer Truong from Hayward. https://www.sfcable.com/
0 Kudos
Agrajag
Level 7

I still have (perhaps delusional) hope that Roku will get this right, but the experiences for so many have been a mess since the solid performance days of the v3 units. Everything past that has been a compromised experience. So, I finally took some action and tried out the Nvidia Shield TV in my theater and it's been night and day. The shield, while costing twice as much, does twice as much and does it faster (sometimes shockingly faster) and with near total reliability. At least now I have a solution to, at a minimum, ride out the tide until Roku gets their act together. The question by then is, will I even care? 

This is the worst of all cases for Roku as a company and it's a totally self-inflicted wound.
0 Kudos
BenRad15
Level 7

I too am having this issue since I purchased my Ultra. It goes through my Onkyo TX-NR656 into a Samsung 4K TV. I can get around the issue by switching the display type to 4K 60, but the Ultra will eventually reset itself back to automatic, and the flashing continues.
I've contacted support and they tell me there's nothing they can do.
0 Kudos
roark43
Level 7

Roku 4630X Premiere+, Software version 8.0.1 Build 4042-29. Hooked Samsung 1080i TV. It worked fantastic for a year an in the last month or two, has intermittent flashing with Netflix, Amazon, Vue, etc.

I've been a loyal Roku owner/user since November 2011 when we cut the cord--LOVE Roku! But their product isn't working right for me. Apple TV is starting to look really attractive if Roku can't fix the issue.
0 Kudos
tendonut
Level 7

Brand new Roku user, brand new Roku Streaming Stick. After the initial setup yesterday afternoon, it started doing this. It's not consistent either. I was able to do a hard reset and it was fine for the rest of the day. But when I went to go use it today, back to the flickering. Its plugged directly into the TV, so no HDMI cable to cause an issue. 

Version 8.0.1 build 4042-55.

Needless to say, I am not impressed with this product, especially seeing so many others with the same issue. 

As a Linux guy myself, this behavior is very reminiscent of when Xorg has some display negotiation issues with a monitor. especially how it appears to be 3 "on-off" cycles in a row, then a 5 second pause with no problems, then another 3 "on-off" cycles. 
0 Kudos
SpartaKris
Level 7

Settings>System>Control Other Devices>Uncheck the box
0 Kudos
sdhull
Level 7

@tendonut yeah does seem reminiscent

Roku Ultra received in the mail today.
Firmware: 8.0.1 (updated as soon as it connected to the internet)

At first I was surprised that my TV 'format' menu would go haywire when the flickering happened as well, but now that I'm thinking about it, it makes sense. Input being temporarily interrupted would do that. Restarting, switching resolution between 720 & 1080, nothing seems to help. I've unchecked the "Control Other Devices" checkbox (which I had high hopes for!) but that didn't help either.

[youtube:2d2vt2zs]pjevJIBb2eo[/youtube:2d2vt2zs]
So my problem could very well by my ancient TV (been rocking this thing since 2007!!) that only supports 1080i/720p or possibly the questionable HDMI cables I've tried. However the fact that so many other people are having this issue makes me think I should just return it Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
sdhull
Level 7

So I had tried 2 different HDMI cables & 2 different HDMI ports (#2 & #3) but still had this intermittent flashing problem.

Turning the Roku off & on didn't help for me.
Toggling between 720 & 1080 would eventually produce a stable picture, but like others, as soon as I changed the input or turned the TV off and back on, the intermittent flashing came back.

What finally fixed it:
Using HDMI port #1. I had previously tried #2 & #3 but hadn't tried #1. I didn't realize that HDMI port #1 was special somehow.
Hope this helps
0 Kudos