Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockou
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

The 8.0 software fixed this for me but the bad thing is next firmware update will probably fix it for others and break mine again. It doesn't seem to ever fix it for everyone.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

I went looking into system update and I’m on 8.0.0 build 3138. Set my display back to 4k60, checked perfectly now I’m gonna have to try some things. Will report back either way. It always seems to have the problem after it has sat overnight -the worst flickering anyway. My experience after a reboot or change in resolution is that it works sometimes perfect, then the next day or two it goes into complete flake mode. I killed the flickering last time by switching resolution, which I suppose forces a re-sync.
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Still flickering. Can’t use any 4k on the Roku Ultra. I need some help. Set it to 1080p so at least the box is usable.

It’s not my equipment, as I have absolutely no issue playing a 4k HDR Disc through the same cables, and I have never seen flickering until I installed these Rokus (have tried two) I have a new Roku Ultra going through an Anthem MRX720 out to a Sony 940E. The port is configured properly in the Sony -verified, and as far as I know the Anthem does nothing but pass the video. All equipment is new and updated.

Ultra serial number: YJ002E183987, build 8.0.0 build 3138-46

I would appreciate some help with this.
0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Level 7

I have experienced the same problem and have found temporary workaround that deal with this until ROKU issue a fix.

The first one i found useful was to change the video setting to 4K HDR 30 HZ instead of 60 HZ.

The second  thing that worked for me was to change the advance setting from 4.2.2 to 4.2.0

Either one of these changes fixes the problem immediately for me. Hope it helps you as well
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

The main problem I have is in 4:2:0.  4:2:2 seems to work without a hitch.  The real issue I'm trying to ferret out is when I switch to Roku and it randomly unresponsive and I have no video sync.  It's a blank screen and I can't figure out what's causing it.  This has necessitated I take apart things to access the power on the Roku.  Quite a painful process.

I am having some questions now about Control4.  Maybe it's me, but I seem to be thinking the tablet is doing one thing and the stick version another -causing the issue.  Hard to explain succinctly... Basically I'm wondering if the way the tablet and stick talk to Control4 are different; thereby, a different command way it calls to switch that is the issue.  What's in my head is something like the Control4 stick uses IR? and the tablet wifi?  even though they are the same commands possibly one is sent to the control4 unit via wifi and one via RF, maybe a timing issue or something.  Will keep testing to see if I can NOT have a problem with the stick.  Will report.
0 Kudos
ssteinkritz
Level 7

Go into Roku settings and change the TV to a lower resolution. 
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Why change to a lower resolution? It’s working fine except for Netflix randomly loosing the 4k banner.
0 Kudos
BobWargo
Level 7

I purchased a Roku Ultra to replace my Xfinity HD set-top box. I've experienced the same annoying sporadic black screen issues. I've tried all the "fixes" recommended by Roku (i.e.- setting lower screen resolution, HDMI cables, switch inputs, different tv....etc.) and still the problem persists. It's extremely difficult to accept there is no fix from Roku after so much time has elapsed. I made a bad decision replacing the Xfinity box and I'm close to returning the Ultra. Fix the problem Roku!
0 Kudos
Hart
Level 7

I am getting the flashing black screen as well. 

We have already tried the following to solve the Purple Screen issue.:

1. Found the one magical HDMI port on the TV that supports HDCP 2.2. (The others only seem to support HDCP 1.4. How'd we do it? We set the Roku to Auto and tried every port one-by-one, until the Roku reported back that we could support HDCP 2.2. It would be HDMI 4, wouldn't you know.) 

2. Switched to cables that supported HDCP 2.2 (not just 4K Cables. Thank you, Amazon.)

3. Added a splitter between the Roku and the TV (to amp the HDCP 2.2 magic.)

So far, we're seeing the Black Screen flashes on ESPN via Hulu with LiveTV. (That should generate enough finger pointing.) 
0 Kudos
jerkwad
Level 7

Turn off "Auto Adjust Display Refresh Rate" under:

Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Display Settings

It even says (in the description) that it could cause flickering! Seriously, ROKU?

I left HDR subsampling at 4:2:2 (doesn't matter if you choose 4:2:0, instead)

Hope that helps! This was driving me up the wall!!!
0 Kudos