Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

I just bought a brand new 50 inch (Roku) TCL tv. It's been like 2 weeks. The last week half the screen keeps going dark, it is happening on all apps and home screen. I'm seriously pissed as this is my fourth tv in like a month due to problems every time. The last one was also a (Roku) I got it through Amazon so will have to send it back and be without a tv again to get it fixed or replaced.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

I got the 7.7 4144 update last night and it did not help with this problem.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
jrmountains
Level 7

The only time I've seen this happen is when HDR content is being played. If that is the case for you, the flash to black is your TV, not the Roku player. The TV is switching to HDR mode, during which they blank the screen. Now if it's happening with non-HDR content, then that's a different matter.

My TV (which IS HDR capable) turned out to be the issue.  I disabled HDR in display types in the Roku and the flicker has gone away.   Not sure what the fix is to keep HDR and not have a flicker; hopefully not a new TV.  TV is a Samsung.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

Your TV is more than likely not the issue, the Roku Ultra firmware is I would bet money on.
0 Kudos
glg1984
Level 8

"rockou" wrote:
Your TV is more than likely not the issue, the Roku Ultra firmware is I would bet money on.

Not sure if you work with roku but do you have any insight on if they’re working on a fix?
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

No, I don't work for Roku. I have no idea if they are working on a fix, I just keep posting about it on here till hopefully they get sick of seeing the same problem being reported and they fix it.
0 Kudos
JMM1
Level 8

"rockou" wrote:
No, I don't work for Roku. I have no idea if they are working on a fix, I just keep posting about it on here till hopefully they get sick of seeing the same problem being reported and they fix it.

I'm not sure this kind of thing matters anymore. On paper Roku looks good to investors. The shareholders, stock analyst, and stock price are now going to be the driving factor.
Releasing firmware that works is obviously very difficult for Roku right now. They may not be willing to invest the money that an Amazon, Apple, or Google could throw at the problem. The next 6 months should be interesting. I hope they get the issues corrected. As consumers we need Roku to compete with the big guys.
0 Kudos
devaney1984
Level 7

This happens to me CONSTANTLY, just bought this thing and it's done it with 4 different HDMI cords and both of my TVs...this is insane that it has this huge of a glitch straight out of the box.
0 Kudos
sunofthepast
Level 7

the ultra is buggy as heck it works great for weeks then they push a bad beta firmware, the situation will not get better, probably return it and move to another platform
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

I get this at times as well. It randomly flashes and in some playback at random times has the dreaded purple screen 2.2 error.  This is ridiculous.  I can sometimes get it to calm down by flipping inputs, but that's not sane.  I'm using a control4 remote system, and I don't get the luxury of toggling an individual component, so I have to get out the master remotes.  

This is my second ultra, second set of cables.  This time AudioQuest Cinnamon 4K HDR certified cables, 2017 Anthem MRX720 Receiver that does NO video processing, so it's definitely not that part, and a 2017 Sony XBR75X940E.  All parts are on latest firmware including the Sony, which updated today.  NO change, it's still the roku ultra having issues.  And Yes, I have a UDPX1000 Sony 4K HDR player and it does't ever have a problem.  

I've never had an issue with the Roku 3 or older ones I've had, so I am fairly sure I've looked under every rock for a solution.  I officially put this in Roku's court.  For now, I locked the output to 1080p to see if I have any new issues to contend.  
0 Kudos