Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheFuture
Level 7

Flickering/Black Screen - Some Kind of 4K Limitation with 2 HDMI Connections?

I have my Google TV (Chromecast) + PS5 connected to my TCL Roku TV (43S403). The display turns black (sometimes flickering) when I have both devices connected via HDMI.

However, I found out by trial and error that the issue is resolved when I turn my PS5 output to 1080p from 4K. Additionally, I can solve the issue if I remove 1 of the HDMI devices (either PS5 or Google TV will solve the issue). 

Is there some kind of limitation to how many devices are connected via 4K? Any suggestions as to what's wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Flickering/Black Screen - Some Kind of 4K Limitation with 2 HDMI Connections?

Shouldn't be an issue. While I don't have that model TV I do have multiple 4K capable devices connected to my LG. One is a Roku Ultra and the other is an Nvidia Shield. I see no issues with them both connected. Although they both are connected to an AVR and there's only a single HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV. 

But that behavior doesn't sound right. The first thing I'd try are new HDMI cables, ensuing they are all 18 Gbps certified. There's no such thing as "4K" or HDMI 2.0 HDMI cables. They are speed rated, and full 4K HDR requires 18 Gbps cables. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TheFuture
Level 7

Re: Flickering/Black Screen - Some Kind of 4K Limitation with 2 HDMI Connections?

I'm using the original HDMI ps5 cable (HDMI 2.1) and the Google TV is its own dongle. Do you think its the PS5 cable?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Hard to say, but worth a try. You can get 18 Gbps cables under $10 if you're not needed a long length. 

Again, I know nothing about TCL TVs. But many 4K TVs have a setting for the HDMI ports that are needed for full 4K/HDR functionality. You might check the TV settings menu for anything under the HDMI ports. On my Sharp 4K Roku TV there's an HDMI Mode setting. Mine is on auto, but you might need to set yours manually to HDMI 2.0. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TheFuture
Level 7

I tried mine on HDMI 2.0 and Auto, but the issue still exists.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Well, it was worth a shot...

Dan
0 Kudos
TheFuture
Level 7

Also tried a HDMI 1.4 for the PS5, but to no avail. The 4K output on the PS5 seems to be the crux of the issue for some reason.

0 Kudos
Knh564
Level 8

My Ps5 was doing this too. Playsation recommends going to screen setting and turning down the 4k transfer rate by either - 1 or - 2. - 2 did it for me, no more flickering. 

0 Kudos
TheFuture
Level 7

Same for me, tried switching to "-1" and "-2" but the issue won't resolve until I downgrade the resolution from 4k to 1080p.

Does that work for you @Knh564 and do you have the same TV as me?

0 Kudos
Knh564
Level 8

I don't have the same tv, but on my sharp roku and my sharp aqous  both had the same issue and I was able to resolve it with what I had mentioned. 

I should note I am using hdmi 2.0 cables as the included 2.1 with Ps5 is too short. I'm going to purchase a longer 2.1 to see if I can go back to higher transfer rate. Also, my chosen tv inputs are 4k60hz, I mention that as my input 1 and 2 are 4k30hz on my aqous and 3 and 4 are @60hz. 

On the Ps5 have you tried 4k resolution with hdr disabled? Also, have you made sure you tv is set hdmi 2.0 for that input? I remember my roku had that issue with my Ps4 and hdr until I enabled it. 

0 Kudos