Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing black screen randomly on any app

Hello,

So my Roku ultra LT is randomly flashing a black screen. It happens in every app I use. I’ve tried multiple inputs with multiple hdmi cords. I have factory reset the Roku. Did the same with my tv. There’s no one thing that causes it. It will do it randomly on multiple apps. It does when I’m on the Roku Home Screen. I’ve tried making it happen but can’t figure out what is causing it. I have a vizio p series quantum. It’s 4K hdr 60 fps which is what the Roku auto detected. At this point I do think something is wrong with the steaming device. I also tried it on a vizio m series tv and and had the same flashing. Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Sansi

Re: Flashing black screen randomly on any app

My Roku Ultra does the same thing! On every App. It's so annoying, I have to rewind to hear missed dialog or whatever. If I turn it off and use my smart TV instead of the Roku it never happens. So it's definitely the Roku. Roku Ultra (4800 series) 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Sansi, have you tried another HDMI cable and/or another HDMI input on your TV?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sansi

I haven't tried a new HDMI cable. It's worth a try. If I can't figure this out I'll just use my smart TV and throw this Roku away and not get another one since this one's only a couple years old. It never happens when I watch TV through my smart TV with the Roku off.

Roku Ultra (4660, 4661, 4662 series) 

20220404_153855.jpg

0 Kudos
Sansi

OMG! I think that worked. I've been watching TV for an hour and no black outs!

Roku Ultra (4660, 4661, 4662 series) 

0 Kudos
Sansi

What's the deal with HDMI cables?! This also happened when I thought a DVR didn't work. I thought this was a new cable. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I don't know what the deal is with cables, but it's amazing how many problems can be fixed with a new HDMI cable.  I just fixed my Express+ low power message with a different USB cable and I would have bet money that the cable had nothing to do with it.  The only thing I can figure is that some kind of oxidation builds up and causes issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

@Sansi  Buy higher quality HDMI cables. Also keep them organized using Velcro strips. Don’t let them just dangle free

0 Kudos