Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donutdc
Level 7

Flashing White Light and no Connection

I have both a Roku 3 and an older Roku HD. Everything has been working great and then I moved recently. My older Roku HD was unplugged for about a month and I tried to set it up today and something is wrong. I only get a flashing white light on the front of the device and on the tv there is No Signal. Nothing has changed with my wireless network. Same network name and password. I have tried unplugging the power cord and letting it sit for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. I have tried a soft reset using a paper clip in the reset hole on the bottom and that hasn't helped. I have changed the batteries in the IR remote... nothing. I had the same issue when I first connected the Roku 3, but it sorted itself out fairly quickly once I was able to sync up my remote.

Any advice is welcome. Just remember that I can't get anything on the screen so futzing with the menu isn't possible. I have nothing on the tv screen.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Flashing White Light and no Connection

Is the LED "double-blinking" every few seconds?  If so, that's an indication that the Roku is having issues communicating with the wifi.

Best advice is to redo your wireless network completely (setup a new SSID, password, etc).  If it still doesn't connect, then you'll need to look at local interference, which could be any electronic device nearby the router and/or Roku, or something as simple as a microwave being used nearby.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
donutdc
Level 7

No it is not doing the blink twice and then pause. It is constantly blinking and there is no signal coming from the device to my tv and nothing happens when I try using the remote.
0 Kudos
donutdc
Level 7

And there isn't any interference. My Roku 3 works fine in the exact same position, network connection etc.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Okay, then try this.  Hold the paperclip button (should be on the back of the unit near the ethernet port, if I remember correctly ... don't have my HD handy to double-check) down for NO LESS than 30 seconds.  Ignore anything that goes on on-screen during this time.  Let it reboot completely afterward.

If it still won't connect, try connecting it via ethernet, and see if that works.  It could be that the wifi chip has gone bad.  If it connects via ethernet, then try wifi again and see if the issue persists.  If it doesn't, the wifi chip is likely down for the count Smiley Sad

*Edit* If this is the 2500 model number (System > Settings > About) it won't have the ethernet port.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
donutdc
Level 7

Yes you are correct. This is the model I have https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-HD-Streaming-Video-Player/20630068 and it doesn't have the ethernet port. I am beginning to wonder if it is because the remote won't sync up. Because this is an IR remote and not wireless that has the pairing button, is there a way to push the sync on these types of remotes?

0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

IR doesn't "sync."

Remove the batteries from the remote.  Wait 5 mins, then install a brand new pair of batteries (should probably unplug the Roku during this time as well, just to be on the safe side ... let the Roku reboot completely before inserting the new batteries).  This probably won't matter at all, but it will at least rule out that part of the equation.  If it doesn't work after this, you're likely looking at a failure of the wifi chip (it's not common, but I've seen it in the past).  Unfortunately, there's nothing else that can be done at that point, as far as I know Smiley Sad.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
donutdc
Level 7

So then the Wifi chip would just fail? It was working fine, got packed for the move and then sat for a few weeks until I found the power supply. That is disappointing if that is what the issue is. It just seems so strange that if the wifi no longer worked that the Roku wouldn't start up at all. You would think that it would startup and just not connect to the wifi.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"donutdc" wrote:
I have both a Roku 3 and an older Roku HD. Everything has been working great and then I moved recently. My older Roku HD was unplugged for about a month and I tried to set it up today and something is wrong. I only get a flashing white light on the front of the device and on the tv there is No Signal. Nothing has changed with my wireless network. Same network name and password. I have tried unplugging the power cord and letting it sit for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. I have tried a soft reset using a paper clip in the reset hole on the bottom and that hasn't helped. I have changed the batteries in the IR remote... nothing. I had the same issue when I first connected the Roku 3, but it sorted itself out fairly quickly once I was able to sync up my remote.

Any advice is welcome. Just remember that I can't get anything on the screen so futzing with the menu isn't possible. I have nothing on the tv screen.

This happens to me too on my Roku and other devices from time to time. 98% of the time, the double blinking white light is telling me that there is an internet outage in my area. The good news is once the outage ceases, it reconnects automatically where I don't have to do anything so it's something I consider a mild annoyance. Most of the time my internet provider shuts down for hours usually in the middle of the night to do what they call routine updating, etc. Although I do most of my work (Writer) at night, I understand it's something that has to be done every so often, but the one thing that angers me about it is they don't send out any notices at all telling people when there will be downtime. Outside of that the outages I experience are usually weather related 90% of the time. 
0 Kudos
christina28
Level 7

i am having the same issue - this is the second Roku streaming stick I've bought trying to fix the issue. once the streaming stick plugs into my TV the led light blinks and it will not sync with the remote. My internet is fine, and I have unplugged and replugged it. I have replaced batteries, held button on remote, unplugged and replugged the streaming stick, hit reset on the streaming stick, etc. Have done this with both sticks I have had now. Neither will get Roku to pop up on the screen. Suggestions? I am about to go out and buy a Fire Stick after this Smiley Sad
0 Kudos